pangios responding to weather?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

zmo63

pangios responding to weather?

Post by zmo63 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm

I've noticed that often when the weather changes, my pangios start loachy dancing all day and night. Lately the weather here in atlanta has been crazy. It was almost down to freezing last week, then this week it was in the 70s. Last night, it dropped again overnight. All week, the pangios have been dancing - they make me tired just watching them! The temperature in the house hasn't changed much, and the tank has stayed stable. Has anyone noticed pangios responding to barometric changes like dojos do? Or is it just a coincidence?

I have oblonga, khulii, myersi, and pulla. The only ones not dancing are the pullas.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:37 pm

I am sure my Kuhlies are more active according to the weather specifically the barometric changes.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi zmo63,

I was curious about your possible Pangio pulla, so I hope you don't mind that I searched to see if you'd ever posted pics of them on here. I stumbled across this thread showing your beautiful loach tanks: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=16119 and saw your pics. Those Pangios are not the real P. pulla, as P. pulla are vertically striped (the description for the species is an entirely blackish brown body with 20-25 thin light vertical bands). Also a while back, some neon green kuhlis were exported and initially mislabelled in the trade. The name was changed on the lists from the initial misnomer P. pulla to P. cf doriae, although it's possible some stores ordered them in before they changed the name on the lists and didn't realise. I think it's highly likely that this is how yours came to bear that name. Here is an old thread of mine with some pics to compare with your loaches: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=11668

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 pm

I've often thought that my pangios are more active when the weather is changing. We've been having winter storms here in PA, and my pangios were loachy dancing for two days. They've settled down now.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks for that, Emma, I was actually going to create another post specifically about these ones, because I wondered why pulla wasn't listed in the species index, and I've never been sure if the two I have are even the same species. Do you think they're both Pangio cf. doriae or simply P. doriae? The pinker one does look a lot like the P. doriae in the species index, but I'm not so sure about the greenish one.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Starsplitter & Loachmom - glad to hear I'm not crazy! I always get a little nervous when they start acting differently and I don't know why. The weather has seemed to be a pretty consistent trigger though.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 am

I have kuhlii and myersi, and they never seem to do any loachy dancing except after large water changes.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?