Fat sidthimunki

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

CKfish

Fat sidthimunki

Post by CKfish » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:44 am

Hi all,

One of my sidthimunki's is developing a pretty disgorged looking belly. I thought he'd just had too many blackworms and would need to "pass" them, but I spent a weekend away when they got no food and he's looking as large as ever. The others in the tank look fine, and his behavior is normal. I can try to feed some peas or other roughage for him, but has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

CKfish

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi CK, I have 1 very fat sid too. It's the longest too. The only veggies they touch are cucumber & zucchini but I don't remember trying them on peas. Are these the same sids you thought might have a bacterial infection? How did they do? I gave mine 1 treatment of levamisole a few weeks ago just in case but no change in the tubby one. I cut back on food since the 1 skinny one caught up to the other small one. I don't know :roll:
Nancy

CKfish

Post by CKfish » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:44 am

Nancy, this is the same group. The infection stopped when I used a Maracyn/Maracyn II combination to treat it. I usually prefer to just use clean water and the fish's own healing powers, but something was clearly running rampant in the tank. Problem solved (unless this is related? I don't think it is...)

I put some peas in the tank yesterday evening. No one (praecox rainbows, harlequin rasboras, and sids) knew what to do with them. Every last one was gone this morning, so hopefully the sids were busy after the lights went out. I'll keep observing and let everyone know what happens.

CK
CKfish aka Charlie

><((((º>..·`·..·`·... ><((((º> ..
·..·`·.. ><((((º>``·..·`·.. ><((((º> ..

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:36 pm

CK, I gave 1/2 a pea at dinner & it's gone now, or at least I couldn't find it. I remember that I had tried them in the past a couple times but no evidence they tried it. Hard to find after the pea lost color too. The striatas ate more pea than usual too. Water changes seem to make them extra hungry. I assumed the pot-bellied sid is just piggy but maybe I should be more than embarassed. Glad the maracyns fixed the earlier problem, I agree it's probably not related to the chubbiness.
Nancy