[VIDEO] My river tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

oilhands

[VIDEO] My river tank

Post by oilhands » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm

I changed my setup this weekend, but here is a video of it before I added more plants. I'll add a new video once I get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1eouC8Sd4

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Very nice video, thank you for sharing. What all are you going to add?
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Joe Khul wrote:Very nice video, thank you for sharing. What all are you going to add?
Thanks. Two different kinds of vallisneria: Giant and Crystal. I harvested a bunch of both from my "farm" tank the other day. It looks real nice so far. I hope to post an update soon.

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing more pics! :)
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 pm

I finally got around to taking an end-to-end picture of my 125 gallon tank now that it has been planted as I described above.

John Locke wrote:If any man err from the right way, it is his own misfortune, no injury to thee; nor therefore art thou to punish him in the things of this life because thou supposest he will be miserable in that which is to come.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 pm

nice. 8)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am

Nice tank. How do the plants do with all the water flow? Do they ever get uprooted?

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks!

The water flow is fairly low ATM since I haven't popped for the big pumps I have been dreaming about installing. Currently the current flows backwards. That is why the Giant Vallisneria on the left is flowing from left to right towards the lone power head. Only one of the smaller Crystal Vallisneria has been kicked loose and that was a day or so after planting. I'm hoping that if I wait a month or so before buying any new power heads or filters then the roots will have developed enough that water flow digging loose the plants won't be an issue.

Interestingly enough this experiment backfired on me somewhat in regards to my donor tank. The donor tank was a high light 46 gallon tank. I dug out about 3/4 of the plants and moved them to this tank. Within a day or so I had a nice algae bloom. I added a Fluval 305 and have been doing daily water changes without really fixing the problem. I have been trying to buy some plants to put in the donor tank to take up the extra nutrients and starve out the algae, but for some reason all three of my usual fish shops have had a very very poor selection to choose from. I guess I have to break down and buy the Nitrate removing insert for the Fluval filter if I want to stop doing daily water changes. If they don't get some plant stock pretty soon.
John Locke wrote:If any man err from the right way, it is his own misfortune, no injury to thee; nor therefore art thou to punish him in the things of this life because thou supposest he will be miserable in that which is to come.