compatabillity advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raving_wayne

compatabillity advice

Post by raving_wayne » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 pm

i have a tank with axilotils in it and was wondering if i could add a couple of weather loaches would they be suitable for each other as axis and my weathers are both large the axis are about 8inches and the weathers i have are all about 6inch to 8inch

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I would be afraid that the axolotls would try to eat the dojos.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:01 am

wouldnmt think they would to be honest i had them in a tank with firebelly newts for about a year or so and the axis never nipped the newts at all and they are a hell of a lot smaller then the loaches, i think my bigger fear would be if the loaches nipped at the gills of the axis as they are very delicate .
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

janma

Post by janma » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Here are the best three words of advice regarding other tank inmates: Just say no.

Why? Well, let us suppose we would like to keep something with our axolotls, for instance, a fish, or another salamander or newt. The fish will invariably attempt to nibble on an axolotl's gills. After all, they're so attractive and feathery! The salamander or newt may try the same trick, particularly at feeding time. Let us suppose that our axolotl is bigger than the fish or salamander. It's quite likely we'll end up with one well fed axolotl! There is a simple rule that axolotls follow: if it moves and it's smaller than our axolotl, it'll end up in our axolotl's stomach. So, follow my three words of advice: Just say no!
Taken from here: http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#other

So: No to fish with axolotls.
-Janne