New member with a few questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cturner

New member with a few questions

Post by cturner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and I have a few questions regarding my new zebra loaches. :shock:

Right now I have a 90 gallon tank with live plants, 8 discus (full grown), 9 cories, 12 rummy nose tetras, 6 cardinal tetras and 1 lonely ram. I have an extremely horrible snail problem so I was told to try loaches on another forum. I found this forum and researched different loaches that my LFS had in stock. I had decided to go with the zebra loaches.

I picked up 7 of them last weekend and I've had them in a 10 gallon QT tank since. My biggest question is, what medicine is safe to use with loaches to make sure there have absolutly no parasites or other diseases? I have Jungle parasite on hand if they will be able to handle that, but I can also get anything I might need to.

If you have any other questions or concerns please ask, and thanks for any help in advance. :D

BTW here is their new awaiting home (some things have changed since this picture)!
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

vicreidel

Post by vicreidel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:37 am

I've just answer a similar question in a fish forum here in argentina.
It's common to read: "I have snails" , "Get a loach" is the answer.
After reading in this forum, I understand that loaches are not a medicine for snails.
Loaches have to be in groups of 5 or more, not only one to eat snails.
A lot of water movement, discus dislike this.
You are almost overstocked.
I'm sure that loaches are more than snail-eaters...
Happy New Year

janma

Post by janma » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am

Yes, loaches are NOT the solution for snails. You can find many topics about this and what you can do to get rid of snails. My own favorite is Assassin snails. But study this forum and find the method best suited for you and doesn't involve loaches, because your tank isn't suited for them.

But HAPPY NEW YEAR!
-Janne

cturner

Post by cturner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:53 am

Crap....I guess I'll have to see if a friend wants them because the LFS won't take them back.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

bullisbm

Post by bullisbm » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:56 am

I am no expert but I really don't think the zebra's are compatible with Discus.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Since this is a loach forum, you will find most people share the idea that you get loaches, because you like loaches. Many loaches don't like snails. At least you got a good number. I think you said you had seven in quarantine. :) Excellent.

Just to clarify: do you have Botia striata?
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata

Many loaches are sold as Zebras. I've see B. dario sold as Zebras (or Queens more commonly).

Some people have had their B. striata take the eyes of other fish. Mine never cause any problems.

For disease, this is an excellent article on medication and disease by Shari.
http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/l ... chloride-1

Levamisole and Flubendazole are excellent for parasites.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:10 pm

We were all replying at once. :)

Or you could set up a new tank (long not super tall) with good flow for these guys. You will be richly rewarded. They are very cool fish. And then you could move some of your snails to the loach tank and see what happens. I actually grow snails in my non-loach tanks as a treat for my loaches.

B. striatas are a great start for a long passion for loaches. ;) They don't get super big, they are pretty peacefully and full of energy and antics.

cturner

Post by cturner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:08 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Welcome to the forum. :)

Just to clarify: do you have Botia striata?
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata
Thank you! Yes I have Botia striata, I just couldn't remember the proper name for them.

I do have a 55 gallon that I have laying around that my husband was thinking of setting up, I guess if I couldn't find anyone to take them I could keep them. They are interesting little buggers. Right now they are only about 2 inches long.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:42 pm

I love my striatas & your 55g would work for them & some rasboras etc. You won't be sorry, they're great fun!

I usually treat my loaches in quarantine with levamisole just in case but I've also used Jungle Parasite tank buddies (the fizzy tabs) without problems. Usually I repeat treatment 3 times, 10-14 days apart to get any parasite stages that may be missed.

BTW lovely discus tank