Angelicus Botia Help

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joesdiner457

Angelicus Botia Help

Post by joesdiner457 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I have had one Angelicus Botia for about three weeks now. She is pretty much an adult with all of the black grown in with the polka dot pattern. I found out that these fish do best in groups so today i purchases two more. My two new loaches are young with only the striped pattern developed. My big loach has been picking on the younger ones. Its only been about 8 hours, do they just need to get used to each other or is there something I should do about this?

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:42 pm

They should figure out a pecking order over the coming days. How large is the tank, and do they have adequate hiding spots? It's really important to provide multiple secluded and shady spots. The best spot will fall to the alpha loach, but they all need shelter from light and movement outside the tank.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

joesdiner457

Post by joesdiner457 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:10 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:They should figure out a pecking order over the coming days. How large is the tank, and do they have adequate hiding spots? It's really important to provide multiple secluded and shady spots. The best spot will fall to the alpha loach, but they all need shelter from light and movement outside the tank.
29 gallon tank.

i have a conch shell my mom got in the Caribbean that the large loach lives in. i guess that would be the best hiding place. i also have a house with 3 hiding spots and a treasure chest like thing. there shouldnt be any problem with hiding spots. since i posted the large loach is nowhere to be seen. probably just went back into her shell. hopefully they get along soon
29 Gallon Freshwater

3 Angelicus Botia, 4 Zebra Danio, 4 Red Serpae, 3 Gold Pristella, 5 Neon Tetra, 1 Pleco

10 Gallon Freshwater (for the gf)

3 Male Guppies, 2 Platys, 2 Spotted Cory Catfish, 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 4 Ghost Shrimp

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:55 am

joesdiner457 wrote:
i have a conch shell my mom got in the Caribbean that the large loach lives in. i guess that would be the best hiding place. i also have a house with 3 hiding spots and a treasure chest like thing. there shouldnt be any problem with hiding spots. since i posted the large loach is nowhere to be seen. probably just went back into her shell. hopefully they get along soon
That's the problem with conch shells. Fish can actually get stuck in them as well as hide for long periods of time. Loose the shell when the fish comes out.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 am

Sometimes it's a good idea to rearrange a tank when introducing new fish - it puts them more on a level playing field with the established fish. You might also try to get another 2-3 so any aggression is spread around more.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 am

I think a 29gal is small for kubotai. I raised my original 3 in a 29 for almost a year. I bought them before I found this site and learned about the fish. I've since upgraded to a 75 and they appear to be stunted, all the new fish have outgrown them. There's just not enough swimming room in 12x30.

joesdiner457

Post by joesdiner457 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am

plaalye wrote:I think a 29gal is small for kubotai. I raised my original 3 in a 29 for almost a year. I bought them before I found this site and learned about the fish. I've since upgraded to a 75 and they appear to be stunted, all the new fish have outgrown them. There's just not enough swimming room in 12x30.
i'm moving out of my current house in a few months. when i move you can bet on me getting a significantly larger tank
29 Gallon Freshwater

3 Angelicus Botia, 4 Zebra Danio, 4 Red Serpae, 3 Gold Pristella, 5 Neon Tetra, 1 Pleco

3 Male Guppies, 2 Platys, 2 Spotted Cory Catfish, 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 4 Ghost Shrimp

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 am

I agree. Remove the shell and put in a couple PVC pipes or coconut huts (you can buy the coconut huts in the reptile or hermit crab section for about $3). I have lost several fish in shells when they get spooked and wedge themselves in, and I didn't realize it.

joesdiner457

Post by joesdiner457 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:17 am

starsplitter7 wrote:I agree. Remove the shell and put in a couple PVC pipes or coconut huts (you can buy the coconut huts in the reptile or hermit crab section for about $3). I have lost several fish in shells when they get spooked and wedge themselves in, and I didn't realize it.
i got rid of the shell and bought some artificial bogwood type thing with plenty of great hiding places. also it seems like the adult has backed off on the young ones although they still arent hanging out.

thanks everybody
29 Gallon Freshwater

joesdiner457

New Problem with the kubotai

Post by joesdiner457 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 pm

my eldest loach has been acting very strange lately. the 3 loaches are all friends now and have been for awhile. however my eldest loach has been fond of laying at the bottom of the tank and then going into a quick roll similar to when an alligator bites his enemy and goes into the death roll. she can roll all over the entire tank. she has been very close with the larger of the 2 new loaches, is there any chance she is pregnant? doesnt look to fat and i know there is very little info on breeding these guys. anybody seen similar behavior?
29 Gallon Freshwater

bslindgren

Re: New Problem with the kubotai

Post by bslindgren » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:16 am

joesdiner457 wrote: eldest loach has been fond of laying at the bottom of the tank and then going into a quick roll similar to when an alligator bites his enemy and goes into the death roll. she can roll all over the entire tank.
That does NOT sound good to me!
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?