Stream(ish) project

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 am

Fabulous!! I have had something along those lines on my wishlist for quite some time (and unfortunately it'll have to stay on the wishlist). Please keep us updated on progress, including breeding successes etc. I love it!!.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 am

hx- Beautiful work. The filtration is fascinating. I've heard of mattenfilters being used before at a DIY forum, but I've never actually seen them put to good use like this.

Thankyou. I'm starting to get an idea that can help with the problem that I've been having with motor noise/ vibration that the pumps cause in my main river tank. I'd put the mattenfilter and pump inside a separate tank that is connected to my river tank with a water bridge.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 am

Very nice and detailed nature look - fantastic, one of the best I have ever seen.

I also can recommend this mattenfilter, have been using it successfully for years. I was sceptical in the beginning but now convinced - best system for a planted tank.
The idea is to leafe the dirt in there, lots of bacteria grow and convert it into nitrate which needs to be removed by waterchanges and plants (N-fertilizer). The benefit is a stable large bacteria colony that gets rid of ammonia and nitrite right away, as it is used to a contionous high load in the mat.
Key is the flow speed of the water in the mat. We only clean those kind of filters once it clogs.
Wolfram

hx

Post by hx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:16 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
Very pleasing to hear that someone is inspired. That's what I usually seek when I surf the net. Inspiration. Priceless, no?

Tinman: At the moment I dont't prefilter. The funny side of open mattenfilters is that you can "vacuum" larger particles off the foam while doing a waterchange. Just stick the hose to the foam, right? The same goes for larger filters. You can extend the time between cleaning the foam by just vacuuming the bugger.

Oilhands: The background is glued into the tank. I put a strip of silicone to the underside of the rear trim of the tank and another strip in between the bottom glas and the front edge of the piece. So the whole thing can be removed by just cutting these strips.

---------

Fishing trip was not as succesfull as I was hoping. I only found a few Akysis vespa and Hara jerdonis (or whatever E-something they call 'em now).
I also took a group of Kryptopterus minors to add color and visibility to the stock...
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Les did something similar back in 2007 (also using the Tunze Turbelle stream 6060), this thread might be of interest: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=5750

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

hx

Post by hx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Pretty much the same principle, I might say. Cool.
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 pm

I woke up this morning with one of those "Eureka!" moments. All a case of combining ideas that gel with stuff I've been considering for years.

It would combine a tank fitted with a sealed in elevated false floor that would support the substrate. End walls consisting of a mattenfilter intake and a fine stainless steel mesh outlet wall. Behind the mattenfilter a chamber housing two Seio 2600 pumps.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumP ... _seio.html

Remove the Directional spout and you get a nice round tube outlet like the Tunze.

Mount the pumps on a sealed shelf (that's a continuation of the false floor)through circular holes cut in it. Water blows out the pumps at 5200 gph (20,000 lph), under the false floor into a chamber between the tank end wall and the stainless steel inner end wall. Flows through, along the tank and back through the mattenfilter to be picked up in the upper pump chamber by the Seios again.

In my 65 gallon, 4 foot tank that would mean a turnover of 80 times per hour 8)

There's 110 W of electrical consumption but I've found the Seio 1500 runs pretty cool so I'm thinking heat-sink may be a lesser problem than with conventional powerheads.

It fits my KISS principle nicely although obviously increases set up costs over a regular River-Tank manifold. It would not take up too much useable decor space. The mattenfilter would pre-filter any sizeable matter that can be the downfall of Seios in conventional open aquarium use in my experience. It should completely eliminate any powerhead use flow reversal issues even in a relatively short tank I think.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:07 pm

:shock: What an amazing looking tank!!!!

hx

Post by hx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks, Jim.

Martin, you're definitely onto a great design there.
Nice, compact design. Well done.
Last edited by hx on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 pm

hx wrote:Thanks, Jim.

Martin, you're definitely onto a great design there.
Now send me planetickets and I'll come fakerock it for your liking...

Seriously, nice, compact design. Well done.
Got no time right now, but I'll draw up a design to clarify what I'm proposing.

Martin.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:34 am

Martin- excellent idea. Is there an advantage to a false bottom over a false back?

hx

Post by hx » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:11 pm

I considered a false bottom when I was planning this stream. But I already had the tank and felt it would have taken too much off the depth, only 12''.

I was also considering the false backwall. It does seem sort of easier to accomplish. The return channel is easier to clean and reach for other possible reasons. Also, the pumps would be umm... sort of easier to rig to the back corner, holes through a plate continuing the false backwall in an angle... Than they are to a false bottom, which inevitably takes away some of the front wall...?

But after deciding I want a rockwall, I just left a channel inside it.
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 pm

that is freaking awesome!!!!
I have always wanted to do this...
when i move when i move
drain your pool!

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I was actually thinking about the false bottom as well, but your point about cleaning is really important! Another idea I had was to have a tank that was fairly wide, and has the false side at the short end. The tank would then stick out in the room so you could see both sides. For example, in a 3x3 ft tank would would effectively get 7 feet or so of stream. A 4x3 tank would give you close to 9 feet! Your rock wall would then occupy the middle like a "peninsula". Unless the water flow is really fast, it should be OK even with the 90 degree turns. Either way, this post and your tank really gets the loach (or pleco for that matter) addiction surging to the surface. Boy oh boy, I am soooo jealous....
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Well here's the "underneath" concept. You could of course have the water transfer chamber along the back behind a false wall rather than underneath. I don't know that cleaning is such an issue. I've never cleaned out a River-Tank manifold....ever. All the internal surfaces provide areas for beneficial bacterial growth.

Martin.