new to yoyo's

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

diavids

new to yoyo's

Post by diavids » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Got some questions regarding yoyo loaches. I picked up 3 yesterday, I put them in my 33 gal. Would that size tank be large enough for them. I could move them to my 90gal later on. Right now I feel they would do better in the tank that isn't too busy, they are quite small. Also is 3 enough, I have done some research and all articles say have them in a group but no one says how many would be best. I have kept hillstream and coolie loaches before but wanted to try a loach smilair to clown loaches but wouldn't get quite as large and these were the only other loach they had at the lfs. Right now all three are out and about, active and eating. I have them in with (3) kribs, (2) keyhole and (1) angelfish, a school of cory's, bn pleco and syno cat. the tank is filtered with HOB, cannister, & internal, it has a few live plants, driftwood and rocks. the bottom is a mix of small gravel and sand. temp is kept at 79f. thanks, dianne

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:46 pm

Perhaps right now if they are small, but not for long. They reach 6 inches or so, so you need a larger tank eventually. You should also try to get a few more - a minimum of five is recommended, generally. See http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae for more information.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:44 pm

as with all loaches in the botia range the more the merrier, i have 14 yoyo's ranging from 2inches to 6 inches they are so active its awesome very good choice on loach but i would defo look at gettin them in that 90gal or you will stunt them
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Depending what you have in the 90, the loaches should hold their own just fine. I'd get them in asap so as to not stunt their growth. And get two more...and post lots of pictures! :lol:
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

diavids

Post by diavids » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 pm

thanks everyone for the advice. I don't think I'll move them yet into the 90 gal as they are still quite small. It would be harder to keep an eye on them, want to make sure they are eating enough etc. I will get a couple more once I know these are doing well. I was at another LFS today checking to see if they have any (they do, I'll grab them next time I'm there) the person there told me that I shoudn't have yoyo's with cories, is that true? Does anyone here have troubles keeping yoyo loaches with their cory's. dianne

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm

I have six Yoyos (3"-5") who live with a horde of Cories -- Albino, Green, Bronze, Panda, Skunk, Matae, Schwarzi, three-lined and a bunch of strays (I don't know what they are), and they get along fine. I also have them with Clowns, Dario, a Tiger (would have more than one but I keep losing them), Zebras, . . . and they all do fine. I've had some of these fish together 2+ years without a single issue. Everyone sort of ignores Cories in my clan.

diavids

Post by diavids » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:03 pm

just a quick update, I got two more so I'm up to 5 yoyo loaches now and everyone seems to be doing well. I just adore these guys, i'm hooked. I added lots of caves and more plants today. I'll take some photos and post them here. Thanks for all your advice. dianne

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Glad to hear everything is going okay with your new additions. Yoyos are wonderful. :)