Different sizes of Weather Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bacod253

Different sizes of Weather Loaches

Post by bacod253 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm not anticipating any problems, but does anyone know if a 3" Weather Loach and a 7" Loach can live together? Would one potentially bully the other, or out compete for food? I'm thinking of adopting the 7".
Bacod

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:31 pm

i have about 12 weather loaches m8 and they vary from 3" to about 7" and i have no probs at all they all seem to get along extremely well
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:32 pm

My Dojos don't seem to bully anyone. The only pushy behavior I see is the males with the females and even this is mild. Dojos like to be in a group. I have mixed group of gold and regular ranging in size from 4-7" with no problems. They pile up on each other, lounge in the floating plants and are generally a happy group. If you don't have some floating plants for them, get some. If you have the space, they would appreciate more than two.

Your 3" will be ecstatic to have a friend.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:38 pm

I have three weather loaches, and two are the exact sizes you mentioned.., the third is 6". Weather Loaches are very gentle, and you will be able to have both with no problems whatsoever. In fact, if your 3" loach is alone right now, I would highly reccommend adopting the other, as they like to be in groups. I got my two largest loaches first, and when I added the little guy, he began to school with them right away. They especially enjoy resting together.

I have never seen Weather Loaches give anyone problems.., they are truly a very gentle fish, even with the smallest tetras. I also have them in with Kuhli Loaches, and they seem to enjoy being in eachother's company, regardless of the size difference.

Brown Weather Loaches will also school with the gold or white variety. Weather Loaches are great.., they are one of my favourite kinds of fish. I could go on forever about their attributes. All in all, they are very social and entertaining to watch.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.