OneWay's Thread

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

OneWay

Re: OneWay's Thread

Post by OneWay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Hello all,

Long time no posting :) My tank and loaches are doing great. I have run into a very unexpected problem that I am now in the process of solving.

Let me explain, I have ~5 of these fake logs in my tank for a cluster of hiding spots for my clowns.
The problem is that they are larger on one end and narrow on the other... Needless to say, I am very saddened to say I have lost my largest clown >7".
She was wedged in there and I had the hardest time getting her out. It was not pretty.

So I did a massive search for natural bamboo... it took several times until I found a place in California that sells it. So my solution to this problem is to replace the
plastic logs with the real McCoy.

I got 2 four foot sections for $21.00

In 2 diameters of 4" and 5" each.

So now my plan is to cut these to 6"- 8" lengths, soak in water until they submerge, and then add them as decor :) Any suggestions, pitfalls, or questions?

I got the bamboo from Frank's Cane and Rush Supply for $21 + $17 shipping to the Midwest.

http://www.franksupply.com/

7252 Heil Avenue
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92647
Phone: (714) 847-0707
Fax: (714) 843-5645
Email: mfrank@franksupply.com
Last edited by OneWay on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Great idea! Bamboo will eventually decompose after a few years, but you could seal it will a fish-safe epoxy resin so it doesn't. I may have to try this myself. Thanks for the link!

OneWay

Post by OneWay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Good idea on the epoxy.. I could always weigh down the bamboo with a rock to keep it submerged, but I am just excited to have some pieces to experiment with :)

OneWay

Post by OneWay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Here is a video of the cut bamboo.. i cut 2 sections off of each 4' length and have them horizontal in the tank. It took one night for the loaches to get used to them, but now they love them.
When I showed a friend the raw pieces he thought i was going to stand them upright, like a bird house, and I thought i would try that too :)

The water is rather cloudy due to the amount of sand i kicked up, but you can see the overall results. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcyszAsoQBU

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 am

Looks great!

OneWay

Post by OneWay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:08 am

Time for a resurrection of my thread!

My tank is alive and well with my loaches being silly as ever. Anyway, here is one of my loaches that likes to nap out in open in the back of the tank...looking as dead as can be :)

I love how it comes running to say "Hi" to me after I tap the glass :) He was hoping for food like always. For reference, most of the Denison Barb (Sahyadria denisonii) are at max size ~5"

https://youtu.be/kfESgSdlF3E

I have added a UV sterilizer, but otherwise steady as she goes!