Very low water hardness ( dKH = 1)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dunga

Very low water hardness ( dKH = 1)

Post by Dunga » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi,

this is my first experience with loaches. I have 5 infant clown loaches in my 3 years tank. It's a 100 liters ( 26 gallons ) . This tank has a soft water (1 dKH or less). PH = 6,9 . No CO2 injection.
Is this a problem for my loaches?
If the answer is "YES", what should I do to raise hardness in this tank?

Dunga

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 pm

When the KH is so low the pH can fluctuate. Carbonates act as a buffer to stabilize the pH. When there is at least 3 degrees of KH then the pH tends to be more stable. Any variation takes place slower.

The fish do not need the carbonates.

Some plants can use carbonates as a source of carbon. When the KH is this low the plants can remove all that is left and the pH can fluctuate even more.

What is the GH in this tank? (General hardness, calcium and magnesium) this is what soft water fish are looking for: GH from 1 or 2 degrees to about 5 is great for them. Plants also use the calcium and magnesium as fertilizer.

I would monitor the pH. If it is stable, then do not worry about the KH. If the pH varies, though, you might add some baking soda (AKA bicarbonate of soda) to raise the KH to about 3 degrees.
I found that 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of baking soda added to a 29 gallon tank (roughly 120 liters) raised the KH by 2 degrees and the pH from 6.0 to 6.2.

If there are plants in the tank then the pH will vary through the day as the plants remove the carbon dioxide. pH will rise in the afternoon. Then overnight the CO2 enters the water from the air and the pH goes back down. Fish have no problem with pH shifts like this. However some chemical reactions happen differently at different pH levels. For example if there is any ammonia in the tank and the pH is low then the ammonia will be in the less toxic ammonium (NH4+) form. As the pH rises the ammonia changes to the ammonia (NH3) form, which is toxic.

If you think you want to alter the KH by adding baking soda try this test:
put 4 gallons (16 liters) of aquarium water in a bucket and add 1/8 teaspoon (.5 ml) baking soda. This is enough baking soda to raise the KH by 2 degrees. Allow the baking soda to dissolve, and test. Then test it every few days for a week and see if it is stable. If this works, then add it to the tank at that ratio. You will need to add more at every water change, if the tap water has such low KH.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Dunga

Post by Dunga » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you Diana,

I've learned a lot!!!

best

Dunga