So..setting up a hillstream tank at last

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:21 am

I love shrimp. Waking up to things like this makes me unreasonably happy.

"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

KhuliKhilla

Post by KhuliKhilla » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:46 am

its is probably a good job you didnt go to work at a sensible-ish hour like the rest of us... otherwise you wouldnt get awesome shots of the kids like this :)

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun May 10, 2009 2:36 pm

Unfortunately one of the cherry shrimp has died. Hoping it isn't the start of a trend.

On the subject of keeping shrimp, Mad Duff mentioned this shrimp-compatibility chart at the last loach meet. Thought people might be interested to see it:

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/dwarf_shri ... hart.shtml
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun May 10, 2009 2:43 pm

This is the chart I mentioned Dave:

It covers a couple more species.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun May 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Ah, I think the one you've posted is better. The main thing I was after was to see that cherry shrimp can be kept with red crystals. I'll wait and see how the cherries do before sinking money into crystals though.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed May 13, 2009 4:51 pm

At last, baby shrimp!

I know breeding cherries is hardly an achievement but we're pretty excited about it all the same. :lol:

Counted 10 individuals, most of which are about 2mm but one was around half a millimetre, so we reckon there must have been more than one spawning and that means there are probably more than I've managed to count!

Also noticed some strange behaviour from the snails. Found them dangling off a piece of wood one day when I got home from work. Sorry for the bad picture.

I can't think what they would be up to but it was fun to watch them swinging in the current for a while. The big one dropped down but the little one ate its way back up the mucus thread and continued off along the wood.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed May 13, 2009 5:05 pm

It's looking good in there! Everything is really taking off and growing!

Congrats on your Babies!
"Long May You Loach"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

I was trying to get Red Cherries to breed forever, because I could have sold them at a good price. Now the store where I planned to sell them is closed, and I have shrimp galore. :) I love them, so no problem.

I would like to know how compatible those shrimp on the chart are with very common shrimp like Amanos and Ghost.

I have a huge Whisker Shrimp that isn't living up to its reputation.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu May 14, 2009 7:31 pm

If you have a look at the chart in the link I posted above, it lists both amano and ghost shrimp.

If our population really gets out of control, once we've given shrimp to every fishkeeper we know, we'll probably try to sell a few to a fish shop.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu May 14, 2009 7:55 pm

I used to sell bumblebee shrimp to my favorite lfs since I had tons of them. Oddly, though, my population crashed suddenly and I have no more. I still have lots of cherries and and unknown clear species in the same tank, though.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks Dave. Sorry I am so clueless sometimes.

I had an LFS to sell them to and they closed. I am pretty much surrounded by box stores now, and a wonderful gentleman who is connected to the local farms, and probably doesn't need my stuff. SigH!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat May 16, 2009 8:45 am

I would dearly love to own some but as long as they aren't sold, the shop won't buy any more in.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sat May 16, 2009 9:04 am

When do the Hillies go in???

The suspense is killing me!
"Long May You Loach"

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat May 16, 2009 9:10 am

You'll have to find some patience, it's going to be a while! We've got a bit of a fungus problem on the wood so we're waiting for that to clear up as well as getting a decent shrimp population explosion going, before we start adding any more fish. Strangely, we're quite content at the moment with just our minnows and shrimp!

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sat May 16, 2009 9:35 am

Very, very sad to hear about the fungus problem. It was a demon fungus that scared me away from real wood years ago - broke my heart and nearly my mind trying to eradicate the stuff. Heavy salt brine soaking (1 month) and sunshine finally fixed the wood, but it was a 3 month ordeal. It was a silvery ocean driftwood looking piece by the end of this too.

The tank is amazing in it's current form - it has me paying more attention to shrimp than I ever had before.

Good luck on the fungus - once you kill it - I'd kill it again. 8)
"Long May You Loach"