research paper

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Toothpik

research paper

Post by Toothpik » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Hey guys! Im about to do a research paper on clown loaches! great topic huh? so im doing my prelimanary outline...could any one suggest good ideas for a section? so far i have care,habitat,breeding,food. any input is much appreciated!
currently-90gallon-5 rummy nose tetra,9 clown loach,3 rainbow fish, and soon 10-15 cardinal tetra.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 am

Toothpik,
Academic/grad, undergrad, (hi)school or fun?
Literature review or research/novel?
Your description looks like basically an essay on husbandry.
Fair enough, but.....

If you want something interesting that will be more likely to get you an A (assuming your marker/teacher is in any way inspired):
There are some LOL postings from the past (couple of) years to do with skin/slime toxicity and/or chemical defense in CL that could well base a novel research to PhD level. It would also be an interesting discussion/comparative topic based on bright colours in other (toxic) fauna for even a high-school paper.
And you could achieve loach-folk-immortality by posting it here on LOL when it's done :) Just be sure to reference your collaborators (Martin, Emma, Loachmon, Mick-The-Fish, Diana et. al.)

The low-hanging fruit is never as sweet....
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Toothpik

Post by Toothpik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:48 am

its for my high school paper :) i love clown loaches and i learned so much about them just from the hobby...i want to learn more and of course since it is in high school i would like an A lol but of course i would put down the people who helped me! or else that would be very wrong of me ;)
currently-90gallon-5 rummy nose tetra,9 clown loach,3 rainbow fish, and soon 10-15 cardinal tetra.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:02 am

Is your teacher an absent minded professor-type who will appreciate an interesting discussion paper, or the (usual) call-and-response turkey that killed my boyhood curiosity?
Either way, there's no reason why you should not challenge your teacher.
Keep us posted ask questions and have fun,
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Toothpik

Post by Toothpik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:22 pm

actually my teacher is a pretty open minded one...once she found out my topic she said she thought it was interesting :)

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm

So.... what's your topic?
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I help a lot of students who come along with a teacher-posed research question like "why is Caribbean coral in decline". OK, there is about 2800 pages in this question, and ultimately IT'S NOT INTERESTING. ...at least to anyone actually interested in coral.
So i pass them a textbook and ask them to choose one reason of the many, then i help them delve further into on that focussed question to find the meat.
Be careful of nebulous, descriptive questions that do not challenge you. You're a student, not a news-reader. And you're interested, so learn something new. Learn it in detail. Discuss it with interest and passion.
You know about the husbandry of Chromobotia macracanthus, so why research what you know? Choose a detail of it- it's natural habitat and ecology, the history of capture and husbandry, the history of captive breeding, it's evolutionary history, the biomechanics of it's head to empty a snail shell (no simple feat, similar "buchal pump" mechanics as a nurse shark), capture methods and recipes used by Bornean natives.... Something interesting.
:)
Now....... GO !
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Toothpik

Post by Toothpik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm

woah! that is some great stuff thanks! i want to give a general over view but husbandry is what i will probably home in on.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm

If it is allowed, use some pictures. I always put pictures in my papers.

It's great you already know you need to cite your sources in your papers. Citing websites can be a little tricky, and of course the species description on this website would be a great place to begin.
[As you know, you have to cite (document where you got your info) your sources or it is plagarism. What grade are you in? I am just curious. I used to teach Frashman Comp at USF, and my students often didn't know about citation and why they had to do it.]

Toothpik

Post by Toothpik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 pm

:) im a senior in High school..private school so this would be roughly my 10th research paper so far haha...and to be honest this is by far my most interesting topic! And of course, citing works is very important.Because I know if I wrote something and published it, I would like some credit too!

Ps. I dont see why i cant use pictures :)

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:24 am

Is there are a section for academic papers on loaches/loach associated biology or ecology etc.... on LOL?
Note the loosely veiled/screaming hint to the moderators :)
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:41 am

andyroo wrote:Is there are a section for academic papers on loaches/loach associated biology or ecology etc.... on LOL?
Note the loosely veiled/screaming hint to the moderators :)
A
The closest we would currently have to that would be the article section http://www.loaches.com/articles :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

redshark1

Re: research paper

Post by redshark1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 pm

As usual, I would advise avoiding clicking on the above link.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 pm

would love to see some active admins here

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Wow cool!

I would talk about their “scalessness” and they are prone to white spot (ich) and worms. They can be very socialble and are easily hand fed. They like their water especially warmer than the general tropical fish population. OH and the playing dead resting trait.....