Plants and Clown Loaches.....good/bad idea?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kassia

Plants and Clown Loaches.....good/bad idea?

Post by kassia » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi all!
I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge/general opinions about live plants in a tank with clown loaches? I am not at all new to keeping the little guys, but I have never made the step into putting live plants into my aquarium, which, I would love to finally do.
I would like to know if there are specific plant types I should steer away from (either because they will make them sick, or they'll just destroy them), and what are some plant types that any of you have had luck with. Or, if i should just not put live plants in period.
Any input would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!!!

Glostik

Post by Glostik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 am

based off my personal experience, as clown loaches grow older they will destroy your plants. I really think mine did it cause they were mad they werent getting food as often as they wanted.

They will uproot what they can and the stuff with strong roots, they will just bite the stems off at the bottom.

Ive heard java fern and java moss are safe w. them. Supposedly Java Fern is either poisonous or has a really bad taste , to fish.
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine

kassia

Post by kassia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:54 am

thanks for the reply. i have heard a few things about the java fern/moss too- being not too tasty for fish - will probably give it a try! Thanks again :)

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 pm

i can safely say that clowns do defo eat java fern they have eaten all of mine

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 pm

You might get a few years without problems. I keep mine in a rather heavily planted tank 3-4 species of <i>Cryptocoryne</i>. My larger clowns are about 5 inches now. I feed them lots of veggie matter, so perhaps that helps.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

kassia

Post by kassia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 am

well, i guess i should basically just try this out, and if they eat 'em, they eat 'em! :wink:

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 am

up to about 6" or so, the clowns did fine with java fern/moss. they would occasionally snip new leaves off of the crypts, but overall, the crypts fared the best in my tank. I still have a hefty echinodorus that's survived, too.

Once I got some larger clowns the java fern that was solidly attached to my bogwood became their favorite playground. They pushed it right off the wood and it went everywhere! Bulldozers, that's what they are when they get big. 8)

I have plants in all my tanks. I'd say go for it. There's nothing like live plants in a fishtank. You'll just have to figure out what works with your tank/fish. Once your babies get to be teenagers, though, all bets are off. Ask Emma. :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Yep, agree with Shari on this. Large clown loaches are bulldozers and they like nothing better than to destroy an aquascape of supposedly hardy plants! I have the dreaded fake plants in with my lot now. Doesn't look as nice as it did, but I couldn't afford to keep spending out on huge motherplants every 3 months! :roll: :lol:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.