Tahitian Moon Sand

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DI

Tahitian Moon Sand

Post by DI » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm

This is absolutely a fantastic forum, such great info! Anyway, just need to know whether or not TMS is good for clown loaches as I plan to change out my 55 gal from gravel to TMS. Experts, please give your opinion, thanks. Di

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm

I would say no. Sharp grains and silica. Both would irritate their barbels.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

DI

Post by DI » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Is there any black sand that one could use with clowns?

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:52 pm

"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:29 pm

I had a look around online and the only negative thing I could find about Tahitian moon sand is that it's extremely fine. Doesn't sound like it's sharp at all. And what is wrong with SiO2?
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

DI

Post by DI » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replys. I had searched online & thought even on this forum there was a discussion about sand for loaches stating that silica etc was safe. I love my clowns & wanted to give them a softer substrate, but also wanted the true black color. Now, I'm not sure what to do?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Tahitian moon is really fine, like dust! I wanted to use it too as I've always been partial to black substrate but it's just too fine. I decided to use torpedo beach, also from caribsea. It's off white, not black, but it's the right size and texture that I wanted. You can vacuum it and it doesn't end up in my filters. I really like it and it's actually a lot more natural to the fish. I've never seen a river with jet black sand. Most of the rivers in S.E. Asia are either mucky or have lighter colored bottoms.
If you're set on black also have a look at 3M colorquartz. I think it's similar to TM but much cheaper. Something like $25. for a 50lb bag. Google 3M to view product info and see if there's a dealer in your area.

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I use pool filter sand, which to my knowledge is silica sand, with my weather loaches and goldies. All seems fine with it, but it's a creamy white colour - not sure if it's what you're looking for. It was dead cheap though.

The dojos bury in it and sift it through their gills and the goldies rummage around in it - seems all fine. I too read the stuff about it being sharp, but I know some loach keepers here use it which is why I tried it.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Where are you located DI?

If you're anywhere near lake superior there are lovely red sandy beaches there. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am

I have TMS in one tank and it is hard to properly clean because it is so fine. I need to vacuum it very slowly, and be ready to shut off the water flow so the sand will drop back down into the tank. It does not feel coarse, sharp or gritty to me.

I have 3m Colorquartz in another tank. This is almost the same as far as cleaning, but is a little coarser. Still looks like sand, though. THis one also feels like it is rounded pieces, not sharp.

For plants I have Soil Master Select. Turface is about the same. Not quite black, bet very close. Also hard to clean because it is lighter than sand and also rises up in the vacuum.

I have Loaches and other bottom fish in the SMS and Turface tanks, but not the TMS or 3M tanks.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 pm

i cant remember the brand name, but i bought my black sand from Emma from her Maidenhead Aquatics shop. its fine for fish like loaches and cories. its not black black, rather sort of grey/black, and its easy to keep clean becausethe dirt settles on top, and doesnt get into the filters.

DI

Post by DI » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! Apparently, I still have lots to learn. Does anyone know the brand name of the black sand that is sold in Emma's shop or what it would be called in the US? The LFS gives different advice every time I ask. I saw the TMS in a 120gal set-up, the owner had cories etc & had this sand for years, maybe fish just tolerate the TMS, but would prefer a softer one. I do not want to harm the clowns. So, I will search for the correct type of sand.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Di, we were originally selling a black coated silica sand from D-Pac/Unipac (which I have in several of my loach tanks), but then they bought out a range of natural sands and we now stock the Limpopo black sand instead.

:arrow: http://www.unipacpet.com/

Not sure that they supply anywhere other than the UK though.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

DI

Post by DI » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Emma, that brand doesn't appear to be in the US. I sure admire all of your pics, just beautiful! Could you advise me as if black silica is a coated sand or if I should be looking for a black coated silica sand? Surely, there must be a product in the US that is similiar. The search continues.

Glostik

Post by Glostik » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:41 am

3M color quartz is round and coated in silica.

it is perfectly safe for loaches and is quite heavy so it wont stir up like normal sand.

it comes in 2 sizes and many colors
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine