New to weather loaches, got Q's

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ryoko

New to weather loaches, got Q's

Post by ryoko » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 am

Hi all,

I have had 2 golen dojo loaches in my 55 gal tank for a bit, but they seem very inactive. Are they sensitive to light as I see then moving more when the tank light is off. I tried all sorts of food, from live shrimp, a cucumber piece, algae wafers, flake, bloodworms, etc. Eventually they eat but never the feeding frenzy I hear about with loaches. Also they are not "curious" about tank activities. I can clean the tank, move things, and they stay hidden. They pretty much always are laying in a corner.

I'm just curious if I might be doing something wrong. Do they need more loaches as friends? If so are the golden dojo's compatible with regular weather loaches and how many is good considering I only have a 55 gallon tank?

The tank is 55 gallons with 2 weather loaches, 15 white cloud minnows. Typical temp is 64 degrees. Test results are always good, no amonia or nitrite and the nitrate is kept about 10 ppm with waterchanges at minimum 50% per week. Tank fully cycled way before the loaches were added.

As for tank scenery, substrate is general purpose sand. Filter is a canister rated at 300 gph. I have a nice slate rock formation with some holes and caves for them. Also a few live plants, amazon sword and some moss. Not much live plants, just enough to give some color.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.
-Ry

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:17 am

Hi Ryoko,

Welcome to LOL :)

Just a few questions about your fish;
How long have you had the fish in the setup? You say they are inactive-do they look healthy and in good weight? Have you tried feeding after lights are out?

There could be several things going on;

The fish are still settling in
Not enough hiding places (we will discard that since you say there are a fair few)
They are unwell (internal parasites etc)-you should always treat for internal parasites when adding new loaches
Not enough buddies (which Im guessing is the problem)

Five would be the min number that would be suggested to keep, as you only have two, you might want to add a few more-they are very social creatures :) Im guessing this is part of the problem. Your 55g (I think these are 4ft standard length?) should be fine for 5-6 individuals for a good few years.

My parents have an individual in with their fancy goldie which Im taking on next time Im home. He/she is a very shy fish despite the avalibility of hiding places which I assume is down to lack of buddies. I bought 5 individuals from Emma's there at the weekend so he/she would have friends when introduced to the tank, and they were out at the front of the tank lazing on the cobbles within a few hours :D

And yes goldies are the same species as browns; Misgurnis anguillicaudatus there is another similar sp but it is not imported due to certain restrictions.

Little bit more info about the species you have
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

Ashleigh

ryoko

Post by ryoko » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

They have been in the tank for around 3 weeks. All look healthy, no odd spots compared to the many pics I looked ad depicting them or the others at my LFS. Feeding with the tank light off does do much better.

I'll try adding another pair, then after the tank bioload settles determine if it can tank another.

Appreciate the advice.

-Ry

ALX

Post by ALX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:32 pm

I think your dojo loaches will be happy with 4 together. I don't think 5 or 6 is actually necessary. They are social fish but they are not schooling fish. I have had 4 in my 55 gal with goldfish for a couple years. That seems to be a good number for the size of tank. They can get to be quite large so 6 full grown loaches would likely put your bioload higher than you'd want.

Hopefully with new friends they will perk up!
-ALX

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

when I first got weathers years ago, I didn't know nearly enough about loach social habits, and only got two golds as well. however, they were very active, burrowing in the fine gravel and sand substrate, always interested in my hands when they were in the tank, and huge pigs at dinner time (the favorite with all my gold and regular weathers has always been brine shrimp). I did however keep mine in the low-mid 70s, so that may have something to do with it. as long as their color is good, and they aren't overly thin, I wouldn't worry about them being sick. are they panting or breathing rapidly? seem stressed in any other way?

try smaller water changes (20% weekly versus 50%), and hopefully after some more time in their new home and with new dojo friends they'll perk up like everyone else said :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Just to clarify. You said the Dojos were in the tank for 3 weeks. Is that how long the tank has been set up too? If so, they may be suffering from issues while the tank cycles. And if that is the case, you need to test your water and do some water changes.

If the tank is established, go ahead and check your water parameters anyways just to make sure.

I would say with Dojos the more the merrier. They may not school, but mine dogpile. They are always together. I would add some floating plants like anacharis. It is very cheap and all my Dojos lounge in it. I have a mix of Gold and Brown, and they do not care about color. I have a big male Gold, and he will pull blood worms from my fingers as I attempt to feed the tank. Dojos are either stop or go in my opinion. Mine are either crazy swimming around the tank or launging in the plants. I love them. I consider them my water puppies.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:18 am

Mine also just sort of sit there. I have the wild colored ones, but just 2.
I guess I should get more, too.

Tank temp is in the low 70s.
GH and KH about 5 degrees
Nitrate can hit 0 ppm with the plants, but I add nitrates to keep the plants happy. 5-10 ppm is the range I aim at.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi,

My large female is by her self, similar conditions but the temp is at about 70*C. I wonder if you nudge the temp up a little it might bring them out a little more? Mine is quite active, and when she isn't she just rests on the floor at the front of the tank. So i'm not sure whether adding more will help? Obviously it can only be good so i would get a couple more and nudge the temp up a little bit, not to much or else they can get a little stressed, 72*C at most i would say.

I was going to get myself another pair at Emmas but she only had goldies in, looking for the brown ones. :)

David