Do clowns eat dead snails?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tender

Do clowns eat dead snails?

Post by tender » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 am

Hi folks!
As the subject says: do they eat dead snails? I was just wondering because my experience is that when I drop quite a big handful of Trumpets in my tank, they seem to go after the ones that move. They check out most of them, but they seem to overlook the ones that are just lying still, and choose to go for the ones that move.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Kind regards
Marius

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am

I have fed my fish canned snails (definitely dead) and they were very happy to eat them. :) Mine like any snails. Maybe when the snails are moving, especially the tough MTS, it maybe easier to access the snail through the open operculum.

tender

Post by tender » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks Tanya!
When you say "canned snails". What kind do you buy? Over here in Norway, the only "canned" snails are Escargot soaked in Garlic-butter. I guess that`s not the same as you referr to :lol:

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Escargots will work, I feed mine live snails from the garden. Someone many years ago turned loose escargot snails in this area, and they invaded.

The garlic is not a problem, many fish like the flavor.

The butter would worry me. Any way to rinse it off?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

tender

Post by tender » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Diana!
It`s kind of difficult to separate the garlic from the butter in this product. Because it`s... how shall I put this?... garlicbutter...AKA: all-in-one. I don`t dare to feed my clowns snails from the garden. We have a major snail-problem in our country, and snail-poison is more common, than not, in most gardens.