burrowing Homaloptera?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

zmo63

burrowing Homaloptera?

Post by zmo63 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 am

I lucked into some H. smithi (I think), and now I know what you all are on about - hillstreams are amazing! I have nine of them, and they seem to be all different colors - not sure if I have multiple species or not, but I'll post pictures soon.

Anyway, yesterday I caught one of them almost completely buried in the sand - only part of his back was showing. I don't recall hearing anything about these fish burrowing, so I panicked a little bit. Is this a common thing? Do I need to add more hiding places? I'm worried it's a sign something isn't right.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Its official...you have now been assimilated!! :wink:
Congratulations!!
I have never had any hillstreams bury themselves, although some, such as Psuedogastromyson fasciatus, will dig in the gravel for food.
I wouldn't be too concerned unless they don't eat.
If you are want to give them more hiding places, you might want to take some pieces of slate and lean them up against the back and sides of the tank to provide shelter. Some hillstreams, H. smithi among them, seem to prefer lower light areas of the tank so providing extra hiding places can only make them more comfortable. Driftwood works too, particularly with smithi. They will blend in with the color of the wood and almost dissappear.
Since Homalopteras often come in mixed, you may have several species.
Now go take some pics!! ;)

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 pm

I am very much assimilated - they are so fascinating to watch. Even after everything I've read on here, I still expected them to act more or less like plecos - not at all. When I first put them in the tank, I thought they would kind of flutter to the bottom, but they shot immediately to the walls like little magnets. And when they move, it's so fast!

They started eating frozen foods the very first day, so that's a good sign.

I think I have a few pieces of slate somewhere, so I'll try a few things out. I'll let you know if the burrowing thing continues.

I'm not the only loach person in Atlanta anymore, btw. Your talk was very popular - one guy went out and set up a river tank with Sewella the next week! He's determined to video them spawning.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Its always great when my presentation actually leads to assimilation. :D A Sewellia spawning video would be great! I hope he catches them in the act.
I knew you would like hillstreams once you found them. With your aquascaping skills, I would love to see your take on a river tank.
By the way, did you get the chelas yet?

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Still waiting on the chelas - Frank's Aquarium got them in for me, but the weather has been too bad to ship. I'll order them soon though.