Striped Loach needs a friend!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

heyou

Striped Loach needs a friend!

Post by heyou » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:54 pm

I've got a striped loach in with my cichlids(3 Yellow Labs), and he's the most interesting fish in the tank. He's got a whole lot of personality, and I'd like to get him some friends to school with, but I can't find any other Striped Loaches at any of my LFSs! I've noticed at one LFS, tucked away in a corner, is a loach labeled as a Sargent Major Loach, He has the same coloration as my Striped, but his pattern looks kind of like a YoYo Botia's pattern.(Very similar in color and pattern to an Angelicus Botia, but I'm positive it is not an Angelicus) The Sargent is the same size as my Striped, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them schooling together. Also, would YoYo's school with my striped loach?

Thanks!

Desi

Post by Desi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:30 pm

I bought some sargent major loaches a while back its been a few months at least. They are turning into what I believe are Botia geto or Botia rostrata but mine are developing many spots. I have one angelicus that shoals with these loaches but they are all of similar size. I am not sure what your striped loach is exactly so I can't really comment on whether I think they would shoal. There are many "striped" loaches out there. Also my largest sargent major loach is about 2.5" from nose to tip of the tail.

heyou

Post by heyou » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Sorry I should have been more specific.
This is my Striped Loach:
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_striata.html

Edit: Botia rostrata is the Sargent Major I saw, will he school with my Botia striata? Also, would YoYos school with them both? I've got tons of clowns at my LFSs, it looks like they would work, but I'ma bit wary of the 12" size, way too big for my tank!

Desi

Post by Desi » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31 am

I am not so sure the rostrata and striata would shoal or not. Striata seem to be very busy along with the rostrata. The rostrata I have however aren't staying striped so they won't stay looking similar. They both do stay small but I believe its best to find the same species when possible but as you state sometimes is not easy... as with my puny angelicus, his friend passed on but I haven't come across any more in the area. Well I know this wasn't much help hopefully someone will come along who knows a lil better but i'll end with pictures of my rostrata sorry about the lighting and algae on the 2 I took today.. was going for quick comparison.

Rostrata when I bought them all looked like this

Rostrata now are varied in spottyness but here's the most spotted and biggest

Here's one I thought was cute I often see this when I look in the tank