"New" loaches behaviour and questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daspricey

"New" loaches behaviour and questions

Post by daspricey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been very very busy lately (Main exams coming up in a month) so i haven't posted much recently.

I say new but i'm talking about the ones i got from Emma's, i got in terms of loaches 3X Aborichthys elongatus and 5X Physoschistura sp. (I also got 5X devario strigilifereferfe (Or however you spell them. :lol: ), 5 devario sondhii and 3X crossocheilus reticulatus. One of the devario strigiliferefe... looks nicely full of eggs. I can hope. :) )

Anyway, onto the questions. The A. elongatus, one has grown beyond belief and can't be far of adult size and very chunky but the other two just haven't grown at all, can't tell if they are male or female. Everything alright do you think?

And the physoschituras; one has almost a plain body, one looks identical to my acanthocobitis zonalternans (OK, not identical but i have to get quite close to notice the vertical stripes) and the others look like Emmas photos. Anyone else get these and notice this? All look healthy and happy i might add.

Cheers

David

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi Daspricey , you finally got the Retics , :D 8) are you enjoying them :?:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 pm

both me and Graeme got some David, mine especially the males can go from fully barred down to the dark band depending on what they're doing, if next to a female they are barred and when they're feeding or just lazing about the band appears.

mick
never take people at face value.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:13 pm

sorry i cant help you - but good luck with the exams (not that you will need luck) hope they go well for you

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm

David! Good to see you back on here. Are you able to get any pics of the Aborichthys so we can have a go at sexing them? I know they can be very tricky to photograph though.
My Yunnanilus cruciatus show a similar thing to what you describe with the Physoschistura with regards to the bars/vertical stripes.
Best of luck with the exams,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

David, have you found you've had increased growth in the Physoschistura?, i've got the two pairs but the growth is mainly with the females they're getting really big now.
here's a pic of one of the females.
this ones a touch over 2" SL.

mick
ps, have you found them to be gentle fish.
never take people at face value.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi,
are you enjoying them Question
Yup, they are quickly becoming one of my favourites! Glad i got them, hopefully mine will grow up to be as stunning as your adults! (Mine are already as big as and bigger than my 3" garra combodgiensis :) )
sorry i cant help you - but good luck with the exams (not that you will need luck) hope they go well for you
Thank you! :)
Are you able to get any pics of the Aborichthys so we can have a go at sexing them? I know they can be very tricky to photograph though.
I'll give it ago, but one minute they are zipping around the tank for half an hour the next they're under a rock for a while. :roll:
have you found you've had increased growth in the Physoschistura?, i've got the two pairs but the growth is mainly with the females they're getting really big now.
Not too much, still about 2", though like you i think my females have grown a little more.
have you found them to be gentle fish.
Yeah, not noticed any aggression, perfect community loaches.

Cheers

Dave