What kind of substrate you use for your clown loach tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

wilsonho

What kind of substrate you use for your clown loach tank?

Post by wilsonho » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Please share :D

tender

Post by tender » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Fine sand. Approx 0,4-0,8 mm :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 am

Soil Master Select
Turface
Coral Sand (I took the Loaches out of this one- Loaches were fine, but they were eating the fish I was raising)
Pool Filter Sand (30 mesh)
Fine gravel (several sizes in different tanks, from about 3/8" on down)
3M Colorquartz (I think... I don't remember if there are Loaches in this tank. :? )
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

wilsonho

Post by wilsonho » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 am

It is difficult to buy difference kinds of sand and gravel in Hong Kong.
I can only find few.
Cause Hong Kong is a small place and only a little people interest in keeping clown loaches.
I think the main reason is lack of place to have a large CL tank.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am

Is sand available in the building trades? Sand is used for mixing concrete, and stucco. Perhaps there is a place that specializes in sand and gravel for the building trade that will sell you a bag of coarse sand, if that is what you want to use.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Diana wrote:Is sand available in the building trades? Sand is used for mixing concrete, and stucco. Perhaps there is a place that specializes in sand and gravel for the building trade that will sell you a bag of coarse sand, if that is what you want to use.
this is an excellent idea, but take caution while buying building material grade sand. when i was looking at sand for my last tank, i noticed some of the paving and concrete base sand had "contains materials known to the state of california to cause cancer, etc" warnings. i'd look for sand that has no warning labels, or is intended for human contact (play sand, pool filter sand, all the fancy 3M man-made stuff).

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 am

IME this is usually referring to the breathable silica dust contained in the sand. But it's a good idea to be cautious about what it may contain.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:28 pm

plaalye wrote:IME this is usually referring to the breathable silica dust contained in the sand.
that makes sense, good to know :). i'd at least avoid products that contain "chemicals" known to cause cancer versus "materials" known to; the particulate matter could be rinsed away, but any additional chemicals could remain.

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Pool Filter Sand- It's made to go in swimming pool filters so it doesn't have other stuff in it.
Carol

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 pm

I went to my local pool store when looking for substrate for the 55 and there pool sand also had the ''Contains materials known to cause cancer'' warning. So just becouse it is pool filter sand doesn't mean it's o.k. Granted it said materials not chemicals, I still don't want a known something that can cause cancer near my fish or family. So do read the fine print if you try the filter sand.
Casey
Water is the substance from which life is born. (Mortal Kombat)
For beneath the surface, lies the future. (SeaQuest DSV)

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 pm

lf11casey wrote:I went to my local pool store when looking for substrate for the 55 and there pool sand also had the ''Contains materials known to cause cancer'' warning. So just becouse it is pool filter sand doesn't mean it's o.k. Granted it said materials not chemicals, I still don't want a known something that can cause cancer near my fish or family. So do read the fine print if you try the filter sand.
How strange Mine didn't have that warning. Sorry you had that experience.
Carol