My new Sewellia breviventralis/diardi/elongata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

My new Sewellia breviventralis/diardi/elongata

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 pm

I gave in to temptation and bought 10 of those new Sewellia home with me yesterday. I have put them in the 4ft river tank where my S. lineolata and S. sp. 'spotted' live. At first, the Spotties seemed quite angry, but they seem to have settled down today and I have even observed some interesting behaviour between a male and female of the new species already.

I took a few short (30 sec) vids last night when I fed them, quality is not brilliant, but you'll get the idea. Please turn the sound off so you don't have to hear the noise the camera makes as it refocusses, and also the annoying TV programme in the background (not my choice):

:arrow: http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN8083.flv

:arrow: http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN8072.flv

(Spotty and spotty youngster in this one as well) :arrow: http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN8075.flv

(Spotty, S. lineolata and the new Sewellia all together in this vid) :arrow: http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN8079.flv

This species is capable of dramatic colour change depending on mood and what it is resting on.

Emma
Last edited by Emma Turner on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Great videos, Emma!!! :D
Those are very attractive fish. They look like a cross between P. cheni and S. lineolata.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are posting pics of their fry before too long.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:54 pm

they are amazing! i love the yellow fin colour, and the patterns. i need a hillstream tank.

we shall have to get practising for how to best represent these in our photo gallery :wink:

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Gorgeous!!! 8)

And the videos are not bad either.... :wink:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks guys. :D Here are a couple of quick pics I took this evening:

I definitely have both males and females of this species, most of the males are huge with prominent fences on the pectoral fins. If I was fortunate enough to have them breed, I would have to hope that some eggs get drawn into the filter as at the moment they don't stand a very good chance with my pair of Mesonoemacheilus guentheri in the same tank (this is temporary, they will be moved at some point).

Hels, maybe the less said about our own personal photo gallery the better?! :lol:

Emma

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Those pics are interesting.
Most of the pics I have seen of this species show it to have a light brown color with yellow dorsal. In these pics, the fish look yellow all over.
:?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Mine are definitely darker in colour than the pics I have seen from other people. However, I have seen them go through dramatic colour changes when bickering or when resting on different coloured substrates.

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Jim Powers wrote:They look like a cross between P. cheni and S. lineolata.
You named it in one Jim. (colour changes and all) :wink:

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 am

Thank you for a splendid video.

Their dorsal fin seems to be bigger in comparison with the close species for me when I observe your video.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm the import to Japan of the fish for the moment.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 am

They are stunning!!!!!!

Brilliant photos as usual Emma!!

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed May 13, 2009 5:27 am

hi emma
it's great to see them in action!
finally I got the "diardi/"breviventralis" (jörg freyhof hasn't fixed the species yet) last friday. what a joy.
and what a surprise: two different species together. the second with different pattern , different shape of head and so on. that means, one more "new" sewellia!
as soon as I can make this machine work for uploading my pics we can see the "new" one.
the situation is this: in DATZ 05/2005 j.freyhof presented 8 species with pictures (not diardi). of course it is not possible to jugde after a picture taken from ahead. but s."breviventralis" looks like s. elongata. the new one is not present in the article.
the two in vietnam later descripted "new" sewellia are doubtful nd not verified.
I hope the "new" are as "easy" as lineolata/spotted. specially the fast growing spotted are a hit-and they don't stop with the making of.
wonderful!
with greetings from swtzerland
charles

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Wed May 13, 2009 8:08 am

I got these photo's in Pier Aquatics the other day:

There were at least a dozen males in the tank with raised fences and they wouldn't sit still for me to get a decent pic of them, looking closely at these and going by Kottelats description I would say these are Sewellia elongata

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 pm

My supplier came back to me with more info and they are now being listed as Sewellia breviventralis on his stock list. I am still trying to find out more on collection location.

Emma

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm

hi emma
collection location is vietnam, province Hue, Mo Cascade. mo cascade is not possible to find. there is a river near A Loi going to the mekong. elongata and speciosa have been found there. the "new" species, described in vietnam come from there and could be the already described speciosa and diardi.
the sewellia on mimbon.de is definetely not breviventralis could be diardi(all communication j.freyhof).
that means: breviventralis is out, in comes elongata or diardi. or else!
so we start again. in german we call this "schnitzeljagd" = hunting little pieces of paper.
charles

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Sat May 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi all.

I found the website where their habitats and specimens of several Sewellias were mentioned in.
Sewellia albisuera, S.breviventralis, S.elongata, S.lineolata, S.marmorata, S.pterolineata, S.speciosa.
Unfortunately the content is unclear because it is not English other than a scientific name.
However, the position of the habitat is shown on a map.

http://diendancacanh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440

The article of this LOL site seems to be introduced, too.
http://diendancacanh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382
http://diendancacanh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.