Kuhli's spawning

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mad Duff

Kuhli's spawning

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I recently noticed that I had my original 6 adult Pangio oblonga but also a few smaller younger P. oblonga so I decided to watch for any signs of spawning as a couple of the adult P. oblonga have started to fatten up again.

A couple of weeks ago I found this female Pangio kuhli, unfortunately dead but full of eggs:

Just before I went away a week or so ago I was watching the tank and saw quite a lot of activity in one corner of the tank around a clump of java moss and anubias, this was almost definitely spawning activity as the biggest female was a lot thinner the next morning:

Last night I realised that they have spawned before because I saw a young Pangio kuhli just a little smaller than the Pangio oblonga that I have found :D

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Very cool, well done! 8) Pics when you can please!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Excellent!

I noticed over the past few nights that one of my Pangio anguillaris was getting more plump and there's been a lot of activity going on. Today, my alpha sid has spent the past hour greyed out and seemingly being chased into crevices, she's been gravid awhile. Also, my two oldest female striata have really plumped up over the past 2 weeks and are slightly more aggressive to any smaller striata that try to get in close. Must be the season?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Superb work!!!! 8)

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Congrats!!!!! :D I've had some very gravid striped pangios in my tank for quite a long time, but no spawning activity that I know of. I hope you can get some pics of the little ones. Thanks for the great photos so far!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Cool! 8)

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:36 am

Well done Mark! Congratz!!
Must be the season?
Might well be. :mrgreen: One of my Y. nigroleneata is heavily gravid and the female acanthocobitis are gravid and male a deep orange colour, the male was chasing the females last night, pre-spawning behaviour maybe!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:22 pm

this is all sounding good :D

HungryGoldfish

Post by HungryGoldfish » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Would you please supply the water chemistry parameters for us/me? I've been wanting to breed these guys for awhile now, and so am wondering about

Nitrate
Hardness
Any use of peat?
Photoperiod?
Plants (real)?

You know, stuff like that.

HG

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:45 am

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have spotted another small P. kuhli but cant get them to come out of the plants enough to get a decent photo of them :(

Tank parameters:
Nitrate - 0.1ppm
Hardness - DH 6 - 7
Ph - 7
Lighting is 2x 38w aquaglo tubes that are on 12 hours/day
Plants (all real) - Anubias nana, Java moss, Java fern, Crinum and Cryptocoryn.
No peat filtration but there are several pieces of bogwood in the tank and 4 or 5 large almond leaves added every 2 to 3 months.
Feedings mainly comprise of frozen Bloodworm, white midge larvae, black midge larvae and daphnia. occasionally fed dried foods like high protein granules, spirulina flake and red astax crumb.

Hopefully I will manage a couple of photo's of the young soon or it will be when they move to their own tank in the shed soon.

farid

Post by farid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi there,
CONGRATULATION for the new family. maybe the best is to move the adult ones for a few weeks soon as the activity is over...to make sure they dont go behind the babies...

i've heard once that kuhli's have spawned insite a filter...where all the bakterias are...maybe it's worth to give them a corner with active mud covered synthetic wool coming out of a filter?? this will for sure be the place where the fry would find food for the first few days.

well done. i'm curious for pics :)

farid
you wonder where the tank light is gone after it switched off...have a look in the fridge then ;)

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Spring is in the air!

Nice. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:43 am

I finally got a some photo's of the biggest of the two youngsters that I have seen last night :D

I will sort them out later and get them posted :D

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 am

Tease! :P :D :D

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:39 am

Well these are the best pics I could get the other night, I honestly thought the load I took would have been better :(

This is the biggest of the two juveniles with a couple of sub-adults (body depth of youngster wouldn't be much over 3mm)

This was the best close-up I could get:

I had the chance to get a photo of both juveniles out in the open last night, I have been sat with the camera waiting for a chance and when I went to take the shot I had forgot to put the SD card back in Image