angelica boita loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DarrenMnaples

angelica boita loach

Post by DarrenMnaples » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:53 am

hello everyone i finnaly got all of mycichlids in ti there own sepreate tank so know my 55 is my loach tank while i was shopping i bought 3 red tailed sharks , 1 rainbow shark , 3 opeal garammies 3 of theses other colour full long finned fisf and i picked up an angelica botia at pet smart i thought he was so cool but at $19.99 i only bought one ill post some pis of my new fish tomarrow but i was woundering if any one had some info on this fish like how many i should keep together??/.....thanks for any info.... :)
Last edited by DarrenMnaples on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Should have gotten a bigger tank !

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:36 pm

I usually buy in clusters of five.. In a 55 I don't think you'd want any more than five anyways.

Kubotai are community fish, and I've seen a difference in behavior in my tanks just between three and five in number. With three, they go out and adventure the tanks, but with five, they actually PLAY!! They LOVE to swim against the current of my powerheads. If you use an over the lip filter such as the Aquaclear series, be REALLY careful when changing your media.. Just two weeks ago, I discovered one of my five was missing, so I disassembled the substrate decorations and my aquaclear only to find him alive and well between sponge and carbon.

Patient update;
Subject was released from observation and is on his way to a full recovery.

Fishhead

DarrenMnaples

Post by DarrenMnaples » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:35 pm

thanks....did you pay 20 bucks a pop for all five.......i have plenty of clown loachs for him to play with too
\

HylaChristine

Post by HylaChristine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I just bought the same loach two weeks ago, but I only bought one, because they only had one, now I am on the lookout for more, but I only paid $2.49 for mine.
"Cereal is for bowls....Fish aren't." jodimartin2003
www.plecofanatics.com

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:01 pm

HylaChristine wrote:I just bought the same loach two weeks ago, but I only bought one, because they only had one, now I am on the lookout for more, but I only paid $2.49 for mine.
Thats a very good deal from what Ive seen around here. I also had to pay $19.99 a piece for mine and I have 7. Well worth it to me though. Very nice fish.

QueenDustBunny

My beautiful botia

Post by QueenDustBunny » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:26 pm

These are the loaches that brought me here. All the help I have received here has helped me have a really happy fish. I, too, bought just one to start. He made "friends" with the rainbow shark. After listening to the advise from others I did go back and buy 2 more (yes, at the $20.00 Petsmart price :( , but for the last time to be sure). The difference was immediate and clear. He was really incredibly happy (even though it was onl like 20 hours alone). It really wasn't fair to have just one. (The shark only allows that one botia into his cave.) He also disappeared into the filter and recovered nicely.

You will have problems with the sharks as they mature. They are extremely territorial and and adults will not tolerate others. I would really suggest not keeping all of them, or moving them to separate tanks as they grow.

I hope this helps.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:35 pm

It will help, QueenDustBunny. But unfortunately this 'troll' will not listen.

My advice is ignorance with this one. It's not worth the typing.

QueenDustBunny

Advice

Post by QueenDustBunny » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:46 pm

I know, but I was hoping if he heard it from someone else that it might make a difference. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Put my 2cents on the table and that's all I can do.

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 am

Good God ,man!

Unless there was a Hurriacane or Monsoon in Burma (Kubotai/Angelicus = Burmese Border Loach), 20 bucks each is a little more than inflated! I paid 9.99 each for mine about 8 months ago at a LFS in Pittsburgh.. I have seen them at "Wet Pets" and also at "All Oddball Aquatics" in the not too distant past for about 15 dollars each. Also check the Anubias Design forum at Yahoo Forums - Mark Denaro usually has good prices and quality if he has what you're looking for in stock.

I was doing the math here.. Sorry for going in reverse.. Your signature says "55 gallon 8 clown loaches 3 opaline gouramies, 3 rosey barbs, 3 red tailed sharks, 1 rainbow shark , 1 angelica botia, 1 sucker fish"
If you plan on keeping in one 55 tank all 8 Clown Loaches (Clowns get to be 8 to 11 inches long in the wild - See Emma's Post on her Clowns eating Honeydew melon elsewhere in this forum), AND Kubotai (3 to 5 inches in the wild?), AND Barbs (I HATE Barbs), AND Sharks, AND Bears, "Oh, My"! IMHO, Methinks you need a bigger tank! You might want to invest or start looking to invest in a larger tank, and soon.. It will benefit the growth of the fish and also the health. You won't be disappointed!

Fishhead

DarrenMnaples

Post by DarrenMnaples » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:15 pm

loachs are slow growers and i am getting either a 120 or 150 next year when i move into my house i would not keep all of those adult fish in that small of a tank they are all still babies accept one is a teenager but yes thank you for the info ...........and as for graeme your are a little wierd for playing...more like being obsessed with naked sexless dolls :? .....thank you very much queendustbunny i will catch all of my sharks today and trade them in for 2 more angellica botias :wink:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:38 pm

DarrenMnaples wrote:loachs are slow growers
I was going to let this go, but I have to say something as that statement is rather misleading, particularly in reference to Clown Loaches. When they are kept in ideal conditions from the start, they are not slow growers! As an example, the group of 2" specimens we introduced into our 850 litre display tank at work, grew to 7" within two and a half years. Would they have done that in a small tank - I think not.

By the way, Graeme is a respected and knowledgeable loach keeper, something which you'd do well to remember.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:02 am

Emma Turner wrote:
DarrenMnaples wrote: By the way, Graeme is a respected and knowledgeable loach keeper.

Emma
I'll second that :twisted:
drain your pool!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:13 pm

i think that we all will