Do clown loaches need tankmates?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Do clown loaches need tankmates?

Post by FishyLady » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,
I have 6 x 2" clown loaches in a 3' tank (temporarily), I was thinking of adding a pair of pearl gourami which I also like and which I was hoping would encourage the loaches to come out more during daylight hours, is this a good idea or is it better to just keep loaches in a species tank? :?

Val

Ravenmoon

Post by Ravenmoon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 pm

If you want to set the aquarium up around the clown loaches I think that would be fine, but normally you need dither fish for any type of loach. It helps them feel safe and as such, you'll see them out more.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Other fish that swim higher in the tank such as Congo Tetras, Rasboras, Barbs and many others would be good. The Loaches will see the other fish swimming around, not acting scared, and will feel safer to come out.
Look for fish that thrive in the same sort of water as the Loaches:
For Clown Loaches warm, highly oxygenated water, with plenty of water movement.

I would not suggest Gouramis, though. Gouramis come from slow moving water, and are not good in tanks with lots of water movement. (Mine hid in a corner when I had more water movement in the tank)
Most Loaches come from faster moving streams or rivers, and need much more water movement.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for the info, I had wondered about the movement of the water at the top where the Gouramis would be. I can't decide though which fish would actually make the best tank mates, I have read that barbs can be fin nippers and are also aggressive to each other, zebra danios I feel would be too 'manic', I really like harlequin rasboras but have read that they aren't compatible with clown loaches - not sure why, so any other suggestions would be so appreciated.

Val

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Sat May 02, 2009 6:55 am

I have a shoal of harlequins with my clowns and no problems. However the natural habitat of harlequins is gently flowing streams whilst clowns prefer more current.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat May 02, 2009 11:24 am

'Barbs' is actually a very large group of fish. Tiger Barbs can be quite nippy, but so can some Tetras, and even Zebra Danios.

The problem with Barbs and Danios is that most prefer cooler water.

The smaller fish will likely be fine for a year or so, but eventually the Clowns will be big enough to eat them. It is not so common, but it is possible.
I had some Yoyo Loaches take out all my Neon Tetras.

Warmer water fish, big enough not to get eaten for a while, OK in a 3' long tank temporarily, faster moving water OK:
Congo Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Clown Barb
Spanner Barb (Not so pretty with age)
Clown Rasbora (R kalochroma)
Rainbow Fish:
Chilatherina axelrodii
Glossolepis wanamensis
melanotaenia boesemani
Melanotaenia praecox

and others. Availability varies. Research whichever species you find. Neutral or slightly alkaline water for some Rainbows, but most are quite adaptable.

A bit too small, but may work for a short time:
Glass Bloodfin (Prionobrama filigera)
Lemon Tetra
Cardinal Tetra (Tend to prefer shade, will not be up higher in the tank if it is too bright. Floating plants help)
X-Ray Tetra (Pristella)
Some pencil fish such as N. trifasciatus
Black Spotted Danio, (Brachydanio nigrofasciatus)
Rasbora espei

Happy fish keeping!

wilsonho

Post by wilsonho » Sun May 03, 2009 5:39 am

How about panda cory and Peckoltia sp. (L 134) ?
Is it suitable to be tankmates of clown loaches ?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun May 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Many catfish are cooler water fish than Clown Loaches. Optimum place to check out their requirements is www.planetcatfish.com
L-134 is a good choice for that temperature, they can handle it up to 82*F, per planet catfish.
Panda Cory tops out at 75*F, so is not even a marginally OK species to mix with fish that prefer the uppermost 70s to low 80s.

I did not list any cats because in this case the question seemed more directed toward upper tank/dither fish, not more bottom fish.

I would avoid Cories for all but the younger Clowns. Most cats have spines that makes it dangerous for a predator to eat them, and you might lose both Cory and Clown, if the Clown thinks he could eat one.
The 'Cory' that handles the warmest temperature (and is usually available) is Brochis splendens.

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sun May 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Oh thank you so much for giving me so many options to consider, but after much thought I have decided to keep it as a clown loach only tank at least for the time being, the reason for this is because they are still so small - although very lively - and I have fallen so much in love with them that I don't want any other fish darting in and taking any of their food!!! in fact I think I would find it somewhat irritating if anything :evil: so I have turned up the fluval to make more current and shall also add an airstone as soon as poss. :D

Val

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Oh Boy.... She's fallen hard for the clowns. They do know how to charm the ladies.

The Rainbows, especially Bosemani and Australian go very well with the Clowns and stay up higher in the aquarium giving nice balance. They keep in schools and keep out of the way of the Clowns - zero aggression.

Clowns do like some other fish in the tank - makes them feel more comfortable and more likely to come out of their caves more often.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/
"Long May You Loach"

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sun May 03, 2009 5:19 pm

BotiaMaximus wrote:
Clowns do like some other fish in the tank - makes them feel more comfortable and more likely to come out of their caves more often.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/
Hmmm, well if they would benefit from them then I shall definitely have to rethink!! :)

Val