Gastromyzon with the strange pattern

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Thu May 28, 2009 3:25 pm

hi odyssey
sorry for you :o
it keep's me busy too. but fortunately not at night.
I'm far from having answers.
appearence is one thing.
as a mattter of fact I just transferred older pictures of stellatus and had the same questions: to the stellatus box or is it for zebrinus.
no problem with ctenocephalus/scitulus, the pair I started with (conversions to black an white, counting spots, mesuring the spots etc). farragus/ocellatus are easy. but not stellatus/zebrinus. next week I'll start the installion-work for the new "aqua-bar", so decisions which fish for which tank should be made.

science doesn't go for patterns first and only as you can see when it comes to revisions of genus etc. important is what can be mesured, that's why the type material is so important.
but not in first place when you have to decide in which tank this or the other fish could fit. I recently got really adult stellatus by an different importer, over 5 cm, gorgeous! and very classic inpattern. that's why I restarted the question.
of course you can put all together, gastromyzon are very sociable, some syntopic. but I want to name it, identify it.
for sewellia ther is a scientific project starting to find some answers - farid could tell more. for gastromyzon I have no news so far.
in case somebody sees more tahn I do here some pictures.

real zebrinus, settled down now and strong in colours and behaviour. one with greenish body and redish fins

zebrinus or not zebrinus?

cheers charles

farid

Post by farid » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 am

hi there,
the website is amazing ...there's some massive suckers there...i will check it carefully later...
i would love to have you here right now to translate :)

thanks for this input
farid
you wonder where the tank light is gone after it switched off...have a look in the fridge then ;)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Well supplied!! :wink: