Semi river tank setup

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tenohfive

Semi river tank setup

Post by tenohfive » Fri May 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have come here for a bit of advice.

I'm thinking about redoing my community tanks as a river tank with the plan being to make it suitable for a few S.Lineolata. Its a 90L 3ft x 1ft x 1ft tank, and is currently filtered by some flavour of Eheim Pro external and a 2+ internal.

I've not got the heart to get rid of all the tanks occupants mind (and I'm not too keen on setting up an empty tank to rehome them) so I started thinking about some sort of compromise.

What I was thinking about doing was to pickup a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft piece of slate and prop it up on a level of fairly substantial rocks inside the tank, closer to the filter outlet end of the tank and so that the platform is about halfway up the tank height. On top of the big slate I'd be adding smooth rocks etc for the S.Lineolata in the flow of an eheim compact powerhead (putting out 10-12 times tank capacity/per hour - around the 1000 l/h mark.)

The theory behind this is that the top part will be ideal conditions for S.Lineolata, and the bottom half will be sheltered somewhat so I can keep cory's and a pair of refugee botia kubotai.

I'm after opinions on whether or not this is likely to work. I'm trying to come up with a sensible compromise between wanting to keep S.Lineolata and wanting to keep some of my favourites. If its a bad idea I won't go through with it as whilst I'm new to loaches I'm not new to fishkeeping and I've learned the hard way not to be bloody minded.

The other possibility would be to setup a spare 65L purely for S.Lineolata if thats big enough?

Would either of the above ideas work?

Thanks
Chris