My First Pictures!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

BotiaMaximus

My First Pictures!

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sat May 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi Guys,

Here's my first tries at taking tank pics. I am still experimenting with my camera trying to work out the settings, but this is a start.

This is my 75 gallon with currently 7 Clowns, 4 Striata, 4 Australian Rainbows, 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 Sailfin Synodontis Cat, 1 Spotted Synodontis Cat, 2 Common Plecs, and still 1 really clever glass shrimp who has eluded all predators for over a month now - this guy is good!

Mick - Feel free to provide all the Proper names if you'd like :)

Workin' that Cone Feeder!!

Thanks for Looking!
Keith
"Long May You Loach"

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 pm

WOW Those are really nice pics! Thanks for sharing them. :D

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:02 pm

Some nice looking fish you have there. :) Really beautiful. Love the B. striata. Show the synodontis please. There's one where he's trying to blend with the clowns. Show more. Thanks. :)

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sat May 09, 2009 8:00 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Some nice looking fish you have there. :) Really beautiful. Love the B. striata. Show the synodontis please. There's one where he's trying to blend with the clowns. Show more. Thanks. :)
I'll try to get more of the Synos in on the next round of shots. They really hate to come out and mingle with the commoners so they are hard to get. They are also masters with the cone feeder, they only need a few seconds to suck out a whole belly full of vittles and then they're gone!

I'll work on the exposures and see if I can get some that are less grainy. I had to use flash also at that fast of a shutter speed, was hoping not to. I'm not real proficient with the photography so it takes me a while to get the settings down on something new.
"Long May You Loach"

wilsonho

Post by wilsonho » Sun May 10, 2009 2:55 am

Nice pictures :)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 am

your starting to master your camera well, the last three shots are good with little graining.
try to get as close to the tank with the camera to get the fish used to you being there and that should help.
the striata are good looker btw. :wink:

mick
never take people at face value.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks Mick!

Mr. Martin Thoene took the time to look up my camera and gave me some very helpful info on settings for getting good shots and getting the graininess reduced. The next round should be much improved thanks to his advice.

I love my B. Striatas - they are beauties I must agree! Took over 3 months to find a Real LFS in my area and even with their cooperation the availability is limited. Possibly some more will arrive next week. Looking to go up to 7 Striata and 10 or 11 Clowns in the 75gal.

Thanks Again-
Keith
"Long May You Loach"

Clowntje

Post by Clowntje » Sun May 10, 2009 10:06 am

lovely pics Keith!!
Still pending between NL and DE and rebuilding our new home.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun May 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Not bad at all!! 8)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun May 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Those are excellent and I can see the improvement. Glad to be of help.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun May 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Thank you Martin.

I'll post up another round when I get the Bosemani Rainbows into the tank and some shots of the "pup" tank too.

I'll get in a little more practice between now and then as well.
"Long May You Loach"

water patters

Post by water patters » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Nice Pics! That's the first time I've seen a cone feeder. What kind of food do you use with that? Anything that floats?

The Striatas look really good, (as do all the fish). How big are they? I bought a couple a few months ago, they're only about an inch or so in length now. They're defiantly good looking fish.

Kelly

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am

water patters wrote:Nice Pics! That's the first time I've seen a cone feeder. What kind of food do you use with that? Anything that floats?

The Striatas look really good, (as do all the fish). How big are they? I bought a couple a few months ago, they're only about an inch or so in length now. They're defiantly good looking fish.

Kelly
Thanks Kelly!

The Striatas are about 4" overall, a lucky find for me in my area. The Clowns are about the same size - also tough to come by.

The Cone Feeder is great for frozen BrineShrimp and Bloodworms, my two main choices for it. It also works great for live worms as well. The great thing about them is that they reduce food waste, everyone has to come get their dinner out of the cone so nothing goes uneaten (it has little slits in it that the fish suck the food through). Works great and as you can see everyone gets the hang of it really quick.

** Cone Feeders and Dojos don't work so good - the Dojo's go right over the top and into the thing and hoover down all the food leaving all their tankmates to go hungry! - Weasels!! Then they take a nap in it!
"Long May You Loach"

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Wed May 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Oh WOW!!! these are really nice pics!!! the zebra loaches look really nice with the clowns, where did you get that gorgeous tree stump in your tank - such a lot of lovely hiding places, also that cone feeder looks really interesting, so much cleaner than dropping it all on to the substrate. I'm not going to be able to get to sleep tonight I have too much to think about now!!!! :lol:

Val

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 pm

The tree stump came from www.drsfostersmith.com - It is 2 identical ones nested together and the "legs" filled with gravel so nobody gets stuck.

The Cone Feeder I got from a LFS they seem harder to come by in the States since the last time I had tanks. This is a Large size one. Made by Lee's. Do a Google for "Lee's Cone Feeder" should find you one you can order online - very cheap $2 US. They are great!

I'm very pleased it gave you some ideas - your Clowns need buddies.

Keith
"Long May You Loach"