Splendida blog

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mad Duff

Splendida blog

Post by Mad Duff » Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 am

Seeing as the other splendida thread has gone a bit OT I thought I would start a new thread to add a blog of sorts :)

Saturday 9th May:
Bought the 9 splendida and put them into their own tank which is decorated with 2x 6 pipe pyramids at either end with a wall/pile of cobbles around pyramids and full length of tank. Very quiet and shy as expected but they did eat a small quantity of bloodworm.

Sunday 10th May:
Lots of clicking today, no scuffles as such or any signs of anything nasty but they are very vocal, again nothing unexpected as they will be setting up pecking order etc. Still very shy and didn't eat as well as night before.
On the afternoon I was on the phone when a wagon went past the house and it was idling down the road and causing lots of vibration which could be felt through the floorboards, as this was happening all 9 fish left the rock work and headed into open water, as soon as the wagon had passed and the vibrations stopped all the fish retreated back into the caves.

Monday 11th May:
Noticed that the temperature was a little high at 80' so knocked the heater down a touch, still lots of clicking on morning but as the temperature dropped so did the level of clicking and fish became more active, Temperature dropped to around 77'.
Fed mysis shrimp but they didn't seem to bothered, when checked 30 minutes later however all the mysis had vanished. Lots of digging today.

Tuesday 12th May:
Noticed that the group seem to be a lot less active as soon as the tank lights go on so decided to add some sheets of yellow paper between the tube and the tank to give an almost peaty colour to the water, fish are instantly more active so added a few Almond leaves afterwards to get the tannins into the water.
Fish are still relatively shy but are starting to venture out more, some minor scuffles but nothing unexpected or to nasty.

Wednesday 13th May:
A lot more activity out of the rock work today all be it at the back of the tank, some clicking but little or no scuffles, the clicking isn't as loud as it was on Sunday or Monday. Fish fed really well on bloodworm tonight.
After the tank lights had gone out and only a small room light was on all nine fish were out and about at the front of the tank and swimming around up of the cobble pile.

:D

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 am

Nice! 8)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu May 14, 2009 12:10 pm

good news then and a good bit of info mate. :wink:
mine won't come to the front as yet but thay are out a lot more now i turn the 3 lights of mid-day feeding on some foods and totally ignoring other but the main thing is they have full bellies . :D

mick
never take people at face value.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Thursday 14th May:
Very little clicking today and lots of activity, removed the yellow paper from the light and there are enough tannins in the water to colour it up now. The light level in the tank is a little brighter than with the paper in but they don't seem to mind to much and have still been active along the back of the tank.
Seems like I have stumbled on a food that they really like tonight, I gave the 9 fish half a block of artemia and they have gone nuts for it, a couple even came out of the pipes at the front to grab it :D

Happy, active and well fed - Splendid :lol:

Northern Monkey

Feed ?

Post by Northern Monkey » Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Mark mine like tetra prima and the aqua one discus food
as well as blood and artemia .
Keep your powder dry !

Mad Duff

Re: Feed ?

Post by Mad Duff » Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Northern Monkey wrote: aqua one discus food.
Cheers matey, is that the Aqua one Discus bits :?:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri May 15, 2009 3:26 am

Mark try yours out on tubifex, mine go potty for it, they darken up with excitement bud.

mick

Northern Monkey

Discus bits Yea!!

Post by Northern Monkey » Sat May 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Thats them the discus bits ..
I bet they love tubi though Mick its got to be the best food ..
I never fed anything that puts weight on the fish like tubifex?
Frozen Tubifex isnt great though ???
Keep your powder dry !

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat May 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Friday 15th May:
Pretty much the same as yesterday, lots of activity at the back of the tank and some clicking.
Again they fed well on artemia.

Saturday 16th May:
Went out this morning and picked up 10 Pearl Danio's, added them at lunchtime and within a couple of hours there was quite a bit more clicking coming from within the rockwork :? , also shredded the almond leaves that were in there and these fell to the bottom making quite a bit of leaf litter.
Fed the Danio's with a mix of artemia and glass worm and the splendida were feeding happily behind the rockwork still.
I was shocked by the sight that greeted me at around 8pm, all 9 splendida happily swimming around the tank together and sitting for long periods at the front of the tank:

I knew that there was a good chance that they had encountered Pearl danio's in their natural habitat but I didn't expect their behaviour to change this much this quick :D

Northern Monkey

Any more?

Post by Northern Monkey » Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Did any come in via Singapore ?
Who got some in the end ?
Keep your powder dry !

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 am

Wednesday 20.May

Wolfram on purpose visiting this blog again and melting away admiring this beautiful school :D
Wolfram

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 pm

They have been here for nearly a full second week now and I think I can say they are settled, the amount of clicking has gradually dropped and dropped to the point were the only clicking heard now is really quiet except at feeding time.

They are eating pretty much anything that goes into the tank and do seem to have developed a taste for Sera Discus granules, Hikari Discus Bio-gold, Hikari wafers and Tetra-pro crisps and will take pretty much any frozen foods.

I did notice a couple of nips on the tails of the pearls today but soon realised that they were actually nipping each other and the splendida were swimming with them but not attempting to touch them.

Northern Monkey wrote:Did any come in via Singapore ?
Judging by the lack of mention of them I take it they haven't appeared Neil :?

Emma Turner

Re: Any more?

Post by Emma Turner » Fri May 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Northern Monkey wrote:Did any come in via Singapore ?
Ta-daa!!

East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sat May 23, 2009 4:44 am

beautifull

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat May 23, 2009 8:54 am

how many did you get Emma,?

mick