just seen an amazing loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

helen nightingale

just seen an amazing loach

Post by helen nightingale » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:24 pm

i managed to find myself driving near Emma's shop today, so i thought it would be rude not to have a quick look, as i needed some food anyway, and i saw the most amazing fish!

it has a stripey snout a bit like a striata, and a sort of black body with very small white spots over it, a bit like a kubotai whose coat shrunk in the wash, and then the rest as a yoyo. it is so lovely and ive never seen anything like it.

Emma its that one in the 4th tank from the end, on the bottom shelf, in with the yoyos. i really hope its not been sold! do you reckon anyone else will notice it? Please could you say thanks to the staff that helped me this afternoon, especially as i am sure i stank of onions! (the joys of work :? ). they were really helpfull and knowledgeable. it makes a really nice change from some places you go in. (and please tell the loach to hide under a rock for a bit!)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:58 pm

Heheh! I spotted that Botia almorhae + Botia kubotai mixed up loach in May and last Friday. Emma and i where having a good look at him/her. Lovely oddball specimen. :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:51 pm

Sorry we missed you, Helen - typical that it's our week off! :roll: I'm really pleased that you liked the shop though :D (especially the loach section, heheh! :wink: ).
As soon as you started describing the loach, I knew it was the almorhae/kubotai 'mixed-up' one that Graeme & I had been looking at! It is a lovely specimen, but for some reason is still a bit on the thin side at the moment. If you are looking at buying it, I can always reserve it for you. I'm planning on putting it through a couple of doses of Levamisole before it's sold, just to make sure it hasn't got skinny disease, so let me know if you'd like it reserved. (there would be no immediate hurry in picking it up either). It'd be great to see it go to a good home, especially someone on LOL. :D

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:23 pm

Perhaps it would be possible to see a photo of it, it sounds like you have something uniquely interesting there....

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:36 am

Im glad you know the one i mean - do you think it almost looks like a creature in one of those childrens books where it is full of different animals with the pages cut so you can make mythical creatures out of normal ones?

Emma i would love to have him, but it may be a bit of a wait :cry: the situation is, i have a 5ft tank in my partners office, waiting for our new house to be ready. the big problem is, it belongs to my partner's father, who is in charge of the builder. i cant comment here, as its a civilised forum, but its very slow :cry: we are waiting for the septic tank to be connected, and the door frames to be built, then a few fiddly bits. with a normal biuler it would probably take about 2 days, but i see this taking about 2 months :cry: would this be a bit too long?
I'm really pleased that you liked the shop though (especially the loach section, heheh! ).
its very hard to remember there is more of a shop that the loach section! but i did find some other really nice other cyprinids too :D i only stopped by as i was almost passing by, but maybe next time you and Steve will be in.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Helen, :D

If you definitely want this loach, there is no problem with holding it until your house is ready. It gives me a chance to do the Levamisole treatments, and by the time your house (and tank) might be ready, it should have put a bit more weight on. :wink: Just say the word and I'll move it to another tank where it won't get confused for something else (and have the possibility of being sold) and I'll put a reserved label up with your name on it! If the worst comes to the worst and you decide you can't take it, I'll probably put it into the loach display aquarium in the shop.

Mikev - when I'm back at work next week, I shall try for some photos. :D

Emma

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 am

:D Emma you have made my day! :D :D that would be fantastic if you could save him for me. would you like me to pay for him soon and then keep in contact when i am close to having a room to put a proper size tank in? thank you so much!

i have a striata with lovely whorly markings rather than straight stripes too, i will have to try and persuade him to stay still for a photo. if you get in any other unsually marked loaches id be really interested :D

i saw the sewellia in the shop too, and arent they great :lol: what size tank would i need to keep them in properly? i think i will have to start saving up now to afford the kit to make the currents strong enough - if i can find enough room in the house to fit another tank. Martin's article was really interesting, and the pictures llok great. now i have seen these loaches in real life i see the attraction you all see in them

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 am

helen nightingale wrote::D Emma you have made my day! :D :D that would be fantastic if you could save him for me. would you like me to pay for him soon and then keep in contact when i am close to having a room to put a proper size tank in? thank you so much!
Excellent! :D And there's no need to pay in advance Helen!
helen nightingale wrote:i have a striata with lovely whorly markings rather than straight stripes too, i will have to try and persuade him to stay still for a photo. if you get in any other unsually marked loaches id be really interested :D
We had a striata like that no so long ago, but someone bought him/her before I had the chance to put it in our display tank. Did you see the huge striata in the display tank by the way?
helen nightingale wrote:i saw the sewellia in the shop too, and arent they great :lol: what size tank would i need to keep them in properly? i think i will have to start saving up now to afford the kit to make the currents strong enough - if i can find enough room in the house to fit another tank. Martin's article was really interesting, and the pictures llok great. now i have seen these loaches in real life i see the attraction you all see in them
Heheh! See you're hooked now!!! :lol: My Sewellia are in a 3ft long tank, not sure what size Martin, Graeme, and Gary's tanks are - I'm sure they will comment. :D

Emma

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:47 am

was the striata you had, that was bought, quite little, and different on both sides? and very cute? i saw the striata, and was quite taken by a greyish striped loach, a man thought it may be a ladder loach. that was a reasonable size too.

if the sewellia dont need a huge tank, then i can probably get my man to build my stands with space for smaller tanks underneath :D

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:44 pm

Wow, I would be interested in seeing a photo of this loach as well. Looking forward!

Mike

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:50 am

helen nightingale wrote:was the striata you had, that was bought, quite little, and different on both sides? and very cute?
Yes, it was small, but plump, and had a different pattern on both sides.
helen nightingale wrote:i saw the striata, and was quite taken by a greyish striped loach, a man thought it may be a ladder loach. that was a reasonable size too.
Was that in the display tank? If so, that was most likely the beautiful Botia histrionica. Loads of people comment on what a gorgeous fish that one is, and you're right, it is quite a large specimen! :D Here is an old picture of the B. histrionica from the display tank - in 'real life' this fish has a much more overall grey appearance, and is approx 5.5" long now:
helen nightingale wrote:if the sewellia dont need a huge tank, then i can probably get my man to build my stands with space for smaller tanks underneath :D
That sounds like a good plan! Bring him with you to the shop next time - one look at the Sewellia and I'm sure he'd think they were such interesting and attractive little fishies, that he'll let you have extra tanks for them!!! :wink:

Will try for the pics of the 'oddball' loach next week, as well as some up-to-date ones of the histrionica.

Emma
Last edited by Emma Turner on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Yup! I keep my Hilly's in 3ft tanks also. 3ft x 1f and arf x 1f and arf. :D

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:28 pm

i will have to get my cameras fixed! i only have my unusual striata on video, then i will put a picture on here for you. i apolgise in advance as it probably wont be very good quality.

what i am hoping is that i can manage to fit a proper size tank in the new front room for some syncrossus, and then have a gap underneath for a hillstream tank. if i get my man to make me up a stand for my 5ft tank, i dont reckon there will be enough room for a 3ft tank and all the filtration needed to make the flowing enough for 2 tanks. do you think this would be sensible? depressing long term plans though :( (i get too excited). but i suppose time to think it all though properly.

emma i think that fish in the picture may be the one i saw. it really was lovely. you definately deserve to get plenty of good comments! :D are you in the shop on wednesday? i may have to do dig up more onions somewhere up the road, so i am hoping i can manage to come past.

i thought the way the sewelia sort of scuttle about and chase each other was amazing. do your babies scuttle about like this too Emma?

thanks to you all for your comments and advice

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:36 pm

helen nightingale wrote:i will have to get my cameras fixed! i only have my unusual striata on video, then i will put a picture on here for you. i apolgise in advance as it probably wont be very good quality.
We want to see your pics!!! :P
helen nightingale wrote:emma i think that fish in the picture may be the one i saw. it really was lovely. you definately deserve to get plenty of good comments! :D are you in the shop on wednesday? i may have to do dig up more onions somewhere up the road, so i am hoping i can manage to come past.
I'm not working at the shop that day, but Steve (my other half) will be there. If you do manage to pop in, try and find him so that he can ring me and I'll drive down and say hello! (our house is less than a mile from the shop). If you want, you can always follow me back to the house on your way home, and I'll show you the baby Sewellia and the big Clown tank. You might even get to see Marge! :shock: :D You would have to excuse the messy house as it is a 'work in progress'..! :lol:
helen nightingale wrote:i thought the way the sewelia sort of scuttle about and chase each other was amazing. do your babies scuttle about like this too Emma?
Yep, they sort of 'mini scuttle'!!! :lol:

Emma

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:37 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Yup! I keep my Hilly's in 3ft tanks also. 3ft x 1f and arf x 1f and arf. :D
Same here - 3ft long (25gal)