New Clown Loaches not eating

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jox

New Clown Loaches not eating

Post by Jox » Thu May 28, 2009 5:26 pm

So I have two new Clown Loaches. One has been here for 2 weeks and another for a week. They are about 6 inches each. They have been living in a 180 gallon tank. I've tryed a lot

Frozen Bloodworms,
Mixed Frozen food
Flakes
Zuchinni.

Though I think I have to get sinking pellets since I ran outta them.
Any other suggestions?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu May 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Jox and welcome to LOL.
have you tried raw cocktail prawns left whole, one of my clowns did a similar thing to yours but i found out he was eating food that was being brought to his hole but the prawn will be proof that yours is eating, place it either near to it or in the place you see it most.

mick
never take people at face value.

Jox

Post by Jox » Thu May 28, 2009 8:51 pm

I'm not sure if I can get cocktail prawns here in the US but I know I can get cocktail shrimp. I'm sure its the same thing. I'll give it a try.

newshound

Post by newshound » Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

somewhat mature fish
give them time
it would be a shock at that age being moved about
drain your pool!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Do the clowns look emaciated?

It's best to quarantine new loaches for 3-4 weeks when you get them so that they can be treated for internal/external parasites before going into the main tank. Otherwise the main tank will be contaminated with any parasites that they might have.

It's also good to quarantine them so that they won't be competing for food with other fish. You'll also be able to watch them more carefully and be able to tell if they are eating.

If they're hungry, fresh whole foods are their favorites. Such as Shrimp, Clams, Mussels, Snails, and Fish (such as Cod).

Graeme Robson

Re: New Clown Loaches not eating

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri May 29, 2009 8:26 am

Jox wrote:Though I think I have to get sinking pellets since I ran outta them.
That would be useful.....

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Add a dozen ghost shrimp to the tank. It's been my experience that Clowns Eat Shrimp. If your clowns don't eat the ghost shrimp, at least the shrimp will help keep things clean. :D

Jox

Post by Jox » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:27 pm

vealboy wrote:Add a dozen ghost shrimp to the tank. It's been my experience that Clowns Eat Shrimp. If your clowns don't eat the ghost shrimp, at least the shrimp will help keep things clean. :D

I put four dozen and nothing happend and the shrimp got all eaten up by other fish. The Clown loaches have still not eaten to my knowledge and are very skiddish.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

chefkeith wrote:

It's also good to quarantine them so that they won't be competing for food with other fish. You'll also be able to watch them more carefully and be able to tell if they are eating.
As they appear not to have eaten perhaps it would be best to separate them from other fish who may be taking their food. At least then you would know for sure if they are eating or not.

Val