New Gastromyzon sp. pictures...and their water parameters

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

borneosucker

New Gastromyzon sp. pictures...and their water parameters

Post by borneosucker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:09 am

Hi guys,

I just uploaded quite a number of pics of Borneo Sucker, Gastromyzon sp.

here are some of them...

there are more pics of them here http://picasaweb.google.com/borneosucke ... directlink

Enjoy the pics guys :D

And in addition, I did some simple water parameter test in their natural habitat, you can view the results at my blog >>> http://borneosucker.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ucker.html

Regards,
BorneoSucker

janma

Post by janma » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:35 am

Very nice, excellent pictures! And a big thanks for the water parameters. In my opinion the usual recommendations are a bit low for Gastromyzons, 20-24C.
-Janne

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 am

hi borneosucker
thank you for the mail. good to have more pictures.
now: the species is monticola, even if not all details fit perfectly with the description of tan. taking in account that the pattern is changing from juvenile to adults and addtionel colour in the fins - red in the caudal fin - occurs with other species too.
first you thougt there could be a second species with stripes, me too. but that seems to be due to the variability of the species. once again.
as I mentioned before monticola has been bred 2001 in gemany. as it seems just once. I'll try to get in contact with the breeder.
about the water parameters: the three parameters are the essentials. did you take them at the indicated spot at about 750 m?
@ janne I don't think so. the temperature average is 27° all over borneo, water temperature 2-3° below; from 50-1400 m and during all seasons. so conditions can change, that's normal. the scale is open. for the tank: 19-24° is good, but as we normally have temperature control it would be one temperature for the year. but it would not be indicated to take the parameters of boneosuckers and reproduce them for al fish-lifetime. I have tanks wihout heating, the temperature goes up and down. others wth constantly 22° etc. just in order to find out what makes them go for breeding. I guess it's not the water-parameters.
cheers charles
Last edited by ch.koenig on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:08 am

That is a stunning fish Charles and some great info :wink:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:34 am

Hi, borneosucker.
Also give my best regards with future.

Wonderful pictures and information!
I'm moved.

I like Borneo island very much.
I was also going on a trip to Borneo in this March, but a river rose in the rainy season, so Gastromyzon couldn't see.

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

It was possible to see the view I wanted to see.
I'm waiting for more a lot of Bornean information.
I think I probably travel to Borneo again.

Does Gastromyzon eat cucumber!
I'll try right away.

Thank you very much.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 am

What a beautiful fish!
And thanks for the water parameters. Its always good to know the conditions in which these fish are found.
One of the things we seem to have found over the years is that the Gastromyzons tend to come from warmer waters than the Chinese hillstreams.
I tend to keep all my hillstreams (Gastros, Chinese Species, and Sewellia) in the 75F (24C) with some flucuation, which seems to work for all. The Chinese species and Sewellia have spawned and the Gastros thrive.
Last edited by Jim Powers on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

borneosucker

Post by borneosucker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for they reply and comments.

Hi Janma:
You are welcome, haha I did all I can to measure the parameters. Hope it helps :D

Hi Charles:
Sorry Charles, I don't know the actual altitude of the location. But after refering to Google Map, it's around 200m...I took the water parameter at the location I caught the suckers.

Ahh....finally it seems to be Gastromyzon monticola afterall...Cheers :D

Hi Mad Duff:
Thank you for your comments :D

Hi odyssey:
Hajimemashite Odyssey san...thanks for the comment. Haha, the date you mention you came to Borneo, I was in Peninsula Malaysia. Wow, you went to quite a lot of places in Borneo yea? Nice...but no Gastromyzon eh? Next time?

Hi Jim Powers:
Thank you for your comments :D, well that's the least I can do. Haha, I hope nobody will ask me for more detailed water parameters, as I don't have those advanced instrument to test water :(

Thanks a lot guys, will be planning my next outing....for another different Gastromyzon species.....:D

Cheers to you all,
BorneoSucker

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am

I'm in lust! Beautiful fish!! Thanks so much for the local info Borneosucker. Very very interesting! Any chance you could put a few of those in the mail to the US?? :)

borneosucker

Post by borneosucker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 am

plaalye wrote:I'm in lust! Beautiful fish!! Thanks so much for the local info Borneosucker. Very very interesting! Any chance you could put a few of those in the mail to the US?? :)
Thanks for the comment :D
Haha, if you could guide me how to go thru some procedure, maybe possible. What I'm concern most is legal documentation and in what way is most appropriate... :(

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Selamat malam, borneosucker. Terima kasih!
borneosucker wrote:you went to quite a lot of places in Borneo yea? Nice...but no Gastromyzon eh? Next time? (
Next time! I certainly watch Gastromyzon kinds.

I introduce my experience about the water temperature of Gastromyzon.
I think G.Zebrinus is weakest in low water temperature.
The usual water temperature of my tank is set as 26.5 ℃ from 24 ℃.
But some winter, I traveled and left for about 1 week.
Meanwhile the most low water temperature has been set to 22 ℃ by mistake.
When I return to a house, only G.zebrinus has developed white spot disease in Gastromyzon kinds.
White spot disease is a parasitic disease of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, but that appears by the immunity power decline of fish by low water temperature.
G.ctenocephalus, G.scitulus and G.ocellatus didn't develop the symptoms.

On the other hand, I'm guessing as G.ocellatus is weakest in high water temperature.
They're often pasted on a fall pipe of water from the upper part. The water temperature of the part is slightly low.

White spot disease of G.zebrinus.
The white dot disease was cured when I raised water temperature.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

borneosucker

Post by borneosucker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:46 pm

odyssey wrote:Selamat malam, borneosucker. Terima kasih!
Oh man, you can speak malay too? Nice :D

Thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting.

Ded1

Re: New Gastromyzon sp. pictures...and their water parameter

Post by Ded1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm

borneosucker wrote:Hi guys,

And in addition, I did some simple water parameter test in their natural habitat, you can view the results at my blog >>> http://borneosucker.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ucker.html

Regards,
BorneoSucker
I see. Now, can you make a quick jump where macracanthas live and do that for Clown Loaches? Kidding. :mrgreen:

Great pictures.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Superb!! 8)

borneosucker

Post by borneosucker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:22 pm

I see. Now, can you make a quick jump where macracanthas live and do that for Clown Loaches? Kidding.
Haha, if I know where to find them in the wild, I can do some test.....lol, they occur in Kalimantan rite? I guess it's way too far...:(

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 am

o yes. can I send you a list? :)
I have informations about export/transport/import. here in zurich all is ready for a max of 50 boxes :D
I told you about a friend travelling: came back with news about a new hillstream loach. I'll see the pictures next sunday.
cheers charles