Food Alert

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

allialli

Food Alert

Post by allialli » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am

How many times should I feed my loaches? 1, 2, or 3 times? When should I feed them noon, morning, or night?
Help :?:

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Well I'm no expert, but I feed mine just in the evening, I have 6 x 2.5" clown loaches and I give them a small handful of Tetra prima and 2 defrosted cubes of bloodworm between them, some nights I also give them an algae wafer.

Val

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Mine get 3 meals per day, but I'm trying to bulk them up a bit. Daily water changes now too.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Some Loaches are more nocturnal than others, so evening feeding is better; the other fish will not be stealing their food.
Other Loaches are quite happy to come out during the day and compete very well for food.
Baby fish of any species ought to be fed a lot more often than adults.

I feed my fish twice a day, but skip one day per week.
All my tanks are well planted, so even on fast days they can eat algae and other things in the tanks. The tanks with fry (Guppies, Endlers) have so many plants the fry can eat microorganisms and such in between regular meals, as well as on fast days.

I tend to drop wafers and pellets into the tanks in the evenings so Loaches, Cats and other nocturnal bottom feeders can work on them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 pm

chefkeith wrote:Mine get 3 meals per day, but I'm trying to bulk them up a bit. Daily water changes now too.
Chef - are you building up nitrates fast enough that you need to do daily water changes, or are you just being super cautious with the water quality?? That's a lot of work on a big tank!

-----------------

I feed once, sometimes twice daily with a fast day every week. Mostly frozen bloodworms and spirulina brineshrimp, then cichlid pellets, algae wafers and frozen mysis shrimp. - Keeps them guessing. 8)

Usual 1 daily meal time is sunset - bonus meal is at lunchbreak from work.
"Long May You Loach"