My loaches are eating all my ornamental fish

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Mad Duff wrote:It is very strange activity for Clowns to show, I suppose there can be rogues among any fish species, maybe it would be worth just housing bigger fish with them, maybe large barb's or Danio's.
yes i think your right. im just wondering if introducing the white fish is what caused the problem. didn't have this happen prior.

i used to only feed them shrimp, blood worms, cucumber and vegetables. no fish. thats the only change i made because i wanted to try the banana fish loach recipe from the loaches book. good book btw!
All your loaches are belong to me!

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:12 pm

i did notice a few times the loaches would chase the ornamental fish if they were near any food i placed in the tank. they chased the glass fish away from the food. maybe they are killing the ornamental fish bc of food.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I lost about a dozen Neon Tetras to young Yoyos. Neons were about an inch, and growing, the Yoys were maybe 3". Every time I would notice fewer Neons the Yoyos looked fat. I never actually caught them in the act of preying on the Neons, but the Neons were healthy, not dying, as far as I know.

I now have the Yoyos with Brochis splendens. Maybe I had better separate them. :?
The Clowns are with fish that are about the same size or larger. Nothing smaller.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:17 pm

they just ate another glolite tetra. fish looked healthy. no signs of trouble. was gone this morning. no where to be found. down to 1 glolite and 2 rasbora.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:06 pm

LoachOrgy wrote: down to 1 glolite and 2 rasbora.
Will you put these in another tank?

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 pm

I keep about 20 Neon Tetras and 20 Red Eye Tetra with my 4 Clowns. Best I can tell I am no missing any tetra, so I guess I am fortunate. I did notice that my Red Wag Swordtail looked a bit sluggish yesterday, and I expected to move him to my q-tank after work today s that I could observe him.

Well, when I woke this morning, he was no where to be found! I suspect the Clowns may have ganged up on him and eaten him. So perhaps my Clowns have become more aggressive too. I also this noticed this morning while I searched for the swordtail that a number of the Red Eye Tetra, seemed to have 'grayed' out. The vertical striping at the tail fin and the red spot above the eye were faded, and resembled Albino Tetra. Perhaps they were under stress watching the swordtail be consumed.

I have also witnessed two of the four clowns seem to spar a lot more now.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 pm

yes. i have. ive decided to just add larger fish from now on. the glass fish are fine. i think the loaches have issues seeing them clearly but the glass fish also do the loachy dance with the loaches now. so maybe they are buddies lol..

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:11 pm

ok. what i have noticed now. is a dramatic change in behavior. my once loving cute loaches have turned into super aggressive, brave, hungry fish. and they are maturing. my 4 big clowns are over 4". the striatas are still small. but they are getting larger.

they swarm the top of the tank now when i open the lid to feed them. they end up fighting each other before i put any food in. they still beg and loachy dance. but i noticed they have all become very aggressive. where they used to wait for food or stay near the bottom of the tank. they now swim or swarm the top of the tank in circles. even brave enough to come right up to my hand.

don't get me wrong i like the fact that they are more friendly. but they are acting like they have not been fed in weeks. and i spoil these fish to death lol...

vealboy

Aggressive Clowns

Post by vealboy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Thought I would bump this thread with an update on the increasing Clown Loach aggression toward tankmates.

Since my last post in this thread, there have been a few changes, I added 5 small fish to the community tank, 3 different types of cichlids that were no more than an inch each and a pair of Ameca Splendens that were about 2.5" each, one male and one female. This was in mid July.

They all seemed to be living peacefully...for a few days. I noticed that the Ameca Spendens lasted only a week before they completely disappeared. No bodies, no proof that I ever had them.

Things settled down, and there were no missing fish until about three days ago. On my way to work one morning, I noticed one of the tiny cichlids chomping on a decimated Red Eye Tetra body. The cichlid was smaller than the Tetra, so I don't think that it was responsible for the kill, but was just scavaging what the Clowns did not eat. When I got home that day, there were no remains. Just to be sure I removed the tank decor and vacuumed the gravel and did a 20% WC. No corpses.

The next morning I woke to find 4 more Red Eye Tetra laying on the substrate with missing eyes. The dead females who had large bellies laden with eggs had their bellies torn out. Kinda gruesome. I removed the corpses to mitigate ammonia from their decay and did a 50% WC.

I did notice other Red Eye Tetras did have messed up eyes, and some chomped fins. Today I observed one of the small clowns attacking one of the Tetra, the last female. I observed the same clown antagonizing the three immature cichlids too. A few hours later, I observed the clown chomping the belly out of the Tetra, so I removed the corpse.

I am concerned that the Clowns will continue to hunt the remaining fish in the tank until they are alone with the Pleco. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can curb their aggression?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi LoachOrgy,

Have you consider the possibility of breeding. The very minute I start reading this thread I started remembering this article from Martin, about Loach breeding:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... ated-items

Take a look. Things are similar on the article.

Good luck!
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Marcos, I just re-read the article, I will check the water temp and such. I just dont think that my clowns are quite mature enough to breed. Of the 4 loaches I have 1 is about 4" and is the least active, the other three are maybe 3" at most.

Now that I think about it, the hunting behavior really peaked after they ate my 10 ghost shrimp, in May of this year. The article does mention that the Clowns were hunting right before spawning...so maybe. I dunno. :?

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 am

Marcos Mataratzis wrote:Hi LoachOrgy,

Have you consider the possibility of breeding. The very minute I start reading this thread I started remembering this article from Martin, about Loach breeding:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... ated-items

Take a look. Things are similar on the article.

Good luck!
i felt all this started when i introduced white fish into the tank for the first time. thats very interesting. ive not seen any eggs at all. thanks for the link. sounds very familiar. their behavior has calmed a little. but they start swarming the top of the tank now when i am about to feed them. almost pushing other fish out of the way. i took the last glolite tetra i had to the fish store to be with some other glolite tetras. and since these incidents ive not had any more death in the tank. i have rasboras and glass fish still fine. they seem to get along with any fish that are not in their territory ie not bottom dwellers.

cheken

Post by cheken » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:58 pm

hi i have 5 clowns aged around 4yrs old, they are between 3 and 5 inch they share the tank with 2 syndontis both 8 inch and other ornamental fish. I recently noticed that my ornamental fish were going ''AWOL'' and i just put it down to they old age of the fish. Until last week when i restocked with 10 neon tetra 9 guppies and 6 harlequin tetra, a week later i have 2 neons and 1 male guppy the others have dissapered as the days have gone on with absolute no evidence of ilness/desease/ or corpse at the bottom of the tank my clowns will at 7pm know it is feeding time and dance up and down the tank untill i feed them then they go nuts! i feed them frozen finely chopped muscles (which the syndontis mainly devour but the clown also love to shred ) aswell as the usual frozen variety and cucumber and lettuce so they are adequetly nurrished each day it has baffled me how they can become so canabalistic but since reading through these posts i am monitoring there attitude toward the remainder fish, having said that i noticed my temp was at 28c so i have reduced this to 22 to see what happens, i will post any results i find.

cheers

cheken

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 pm

My Clowns have settle down since my last post, I reduced the water temp, which was some how 80+ F. I now have the temp to about 77F and the Clowns have mellowed out, and far as I can tell no more casualties. Well at least any remains of victims.

retrofish

Post by retrofish » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:56 am

77 degrees is too cold for clown loaches. Their water should be at least 82 degrees. I keep my clowns at 86+ degrees with no problems, no aggression of any kind.