Transfering my clown loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Narcil

Transfering my clown loaches

Post by Narcil » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 am

Hi All,

Never knew this forum existed.

Anyway ive got 5 clown loaches (about 2 yrs old) which range from 4-6inches in length. I will be recieving a new tank in the next few weeks and after i have it up and running and the cycle etc working well I will be transfering the loaches to their new home (with more room to swim around :D ).

Anyway my question is:

How do I capture my loaches without getting that spikey thing under their eyes caught up in the net. These loaches have been in the same tank since they were mini loaches and have never been netted so i dont think they will react well.

Any tips?

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 am

Easiest is to remove all rocks, decorations etc. and drain most of the water. Two nets come in handy.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 am

Catch them in a cup or bowl that is big enough to hold them and be careful they do not jump out. Medium sized, deep mixing bowl for a 6" fish!

Have a look at the fishless cycle; best way to cycle a tank!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Narcil

Post by Narcil » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 am

im just gonna kickstart the cycle by transfering about 1/2 of my current fish tank water into the new tank. then add the usual bacteria starters/chemicals.

Add plants and a few fish that im less attached to. After this has been going for a while ill move the loaches in.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am

I usually set the net along the edge of the tank and chase the fish toward it with my free hand and they will swim right into it.
Rae

Ardillakilla

Post by Ardillakilla » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 am

Narcil wrote:im just gonna kickstart the cycle by transfering about 1/2 of my current fish tank water into the new tank. then add the usual bacteria starters/chemicals.
The bacteria are on the surfaces of objects (gravel, filter media, etc.), not in the water. Though transferring water will be helpful acclimating any fish you transfer to the new tank.

I'll be switching to a new tank in a bit and took a bunch of the new tank's bioballs and threw them in the old tank so they get colonized by bacteria.

If you transferred colonized media to the new tank you could probably transfer all your fish over immediately (along with the water) if you cut back on feedings for awhile and keep an eye out for ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

Narcil

Post by Narcil » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:46 am

Bit of a bump, but i thought ppl might like the pics. transfered the fish last night, and they seem to like their new home. (although they were very crazy for the 1st few hours. swimming very quickly into rocks and the glass)

tank pic is a bit dark :cry: (if you look closely you can see some of the loach eyes reflecting the flash on the far right side)