order of additions & dithers

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

order of additions & dithers

Post by NancyD » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:47 pm

It's early for this since my mail-order was wrong but here goes. I'm setting up a 75gal for 6 striatas & 6 sids currently in separate species only tanks. (This partially so I can move 1 tank to make room for a bigger clown tank :D & get my Q tank back) Pretend it's cycled, fishless, old filter media, plants,eco-complete. I'd like either 10-12 brilliant rasboras or 6-8 praecox (dwarf neon) rainbowfish as dithers. Should I add dithers, half at a time & use new tank as Q for them? Seems sensible maybe overly cautious? Then how should I add the loaches? They are all ~ 1.2-1.5 inches. Put the striatas in first since they're probably more mellow? Sids first since they're going to be smaller but pushier? All at once so none has the upper hand but the bioload might be overwhelmed? Smallest 3 of each to see how they do before the alpha types make a stand? Doesn't much matter since they're so small? Future additions? I'm thinking maybe SAE or otos. And of course I'm thinking more loaches. Could I have kubotais or should I add more sids & or striatas? I was considering kuhlis but this probably isn't a good set up for them. Which dither? I'm leaning toward the rasboras, today anyway :lol: I'm getting excited :D !
Opinions & advice please.
Nancy