hillstreams = seasonal fish?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bigpow

hillstreams = seasonal fish?

Post by bigpow » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 pm

I've been trying to find them lately at local stores without any luck.

Interestingly, a long while ago, I saw them almost everywhere.

Now I wonder, is it the time of the year that they're just hard to find?
Any known export ban from their country of origins?

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:23 am

hi bigpow
to make it short: no there's no ban. look at the weather-diagramms where the fish come from. in borneo eg it's hot and dry now, so easy catching is given (hi borneosucker! some news?). but in summer LFS order and sell less when people are on vacancy. in january and february they catch the smaller youngsters of last year in the reachable side pools of the swallen rivers, the adults are out of reach.
that's generally spoken.
but: if an importer has a not sold stock, you can find adult specimen in summer too.
the question is: can your LFS order them or not? if they are on a stocklist of an importer just order 20 (or whatever) and you get them. if not: that's not your LFS!!!
I heard from germany that there are no hillstream loaches to find in certain regions. that's nonsense! and even if: at least three online sellers with good references sell them in germany the whole year. I myself order now and then from the best of them. so check up the situation in your region.
and keep on asking questions to the trade and you'll get answers! :wink:
or you hear this: what's a hillstream loach? oh yes, we have some from brasil!! no joke!
cheers charles

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 am

Whereabouts are you located Bigpow?

If you lket us know your location there is a good chance that someone nearby will be able to put you onto an LFS that has Hillies :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

bigpow

Bay Area, CA

Post by bigpow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 am

Bay Area, CA.

I had visited almost all LFS within 50miles for the last couple of weeks.
I also asked a few stores about special orders, but no-onene seem to care.
Probably not a big seller to most stores. Unfortunately, one of the good LFS, is so good that the owner told me he won't ever order them because he doesn't have a proper tank setup -> coming from a store owner, I was like (wow).

It's true that American and European (majority of fish market) are on vacation at this time of the year, so that makes a lot of sense of why they're hard(er) to find.

Alright, I'll keep an eye open for them - it's not like I'm in a hurry anyway. Just an itch ;)

Cup

Post by Cup » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 pm

ocean aquarium occasionally gets them in. albany aquarium ALWAYS has gastro. ocellatus in.

bigpow

ocean

Post by bigpow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 pm

I chatted with Justin (OA) a few weeks back, and he told me he won't order any hillstreams intentionally because he doesn't have any hillstream suitable tank at his store.