Nippy Chain loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

karl71

Nippy Chain loaches

Post by karl71 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 pm

I have a 125 litre tank with a few Odessa barbs and cequeredbarbs and 6chain loaches. Recently the chain loaches have been very agressive towards the barbs and niping at them to the point where the barbs ar now scared of them. I a seriously thinking I mde a bad istake in buying thee litle guys now.Anyone else had experience of this behaviour? I have plenty o pnt n bogwod and cave also. :(

Birds'nBunny

Post by Birds'nBunny » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Me too, same problem. I thought I did my due diligence before purchasing, but I was wrong.

I have seven nippy chain loaches who are harassing my other fish. I am trying to find a new home for them, in the hopes of putting this fishy fiasco behind me. My heartless fiance saw them picking on his favorite Gourami, and said "flush 'em!" but I could never do it. Still, I can't wait to get rid of the little f*#$%ers.

I'll be filing this experience under "lessons learned."

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Mine will sometimes chase the rainbows they share tank space with, but never anything like you describe.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Larger groups (15+) usually help to calm this behaviour, but in general Sids are quite bold/boisterous/inquisitive, so tankmates should be chosen with care. Slow moving fancy finned fish or shy species, for example, are not the best choices to mix with them.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

karl71

Post by karl71 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 am

Is there any other alternatives for my 125 litre tank in terms of loaches.I got the sids as theyare fun to watch and active. What about botia Dario or Zebra loaches pola dot loaches? Will thes be a suitable replacement.?