My new Loach tank using Aquaponics and HF turbulent tube

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Vancmann

My new Loach tank using Aquaponics and HF turbulent tube

Post by Vancmann » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 am

Just a short overview.

This new 125 gallon project has been completed for a little under a month now. I wanted to wait untill the system become sort of established before I posted this topic. Two of my biggest challenges have been rectified with this project. They are controlling high Nitrates/ Phospates and creating a strong flowing river like environment for my loaches.

First part, reducing nitrates: My old tank averaged an 80-90ppm nitrate level with 1/3 weekly water changes. After 3 weeks without any water changes my new tank was at 40ppm Nitrates. I transfered all the water, the filters, everything, directly to this new tank. This system holds about 30% more water so I had to add tap water to fill the tank completely. It is too early to tell the long term results of the nitrate levels but for now, the plants are growing rapidly on the available nitrates. I started out with just one small peace lilly and now I have quite a few and they are all flowering nicely. I planted some beans and peas just for fun and they took off within a couple days. I rooted out an old stub from my yard and it has sprouted quite a few leaves (did not expec that) and seems to be doing well.

All plants are set in baskets that are filled with something called "earthstone", an inert material, just to hold moisture and keep the plants in place. The basket are set into holes drilled into a 4" PVC tube. One end of the PVC is the input where I use the water exited from my two canister filters. There is an auxillary pump on a timer that I use to flood the PVC at certain intervals. The 4" PVC tube then has a drain on the other end where airated mostly denitrated water drains back into the tank.

These plants only get nutrients from the tank so there are no added anything. As of now, the production of nitrates from the fish exceeds the plant usage and I would have to add more plants to balance this out. I imaging that with the addition of plants, I would have to add iron suppliments or trace minerals.

Part 2: I created a turbulent tunnel using a 950 GPH pump and a 4" acrylic tube. I have not done calculations or flow rate but at the moment the water through the tube is more than 950 GPH based on some fluid dynamics. There is a strong vacum on the input side of the tube where the pump enters and sometimes it sucks unsuspected fish in. This vacum is apparent in one of the pic with the little blue airstone outside the tube having its bubbles pulled sideways.
Also, the hose from the pump is angled in a way to get a spiral turbulent flow, like a tornado.

This pump is on a timer as well and like "moths to the flame" the loaches enter the tube when the pump comes on. Only the clown loaches enters and only one makes it to the far end by himself and sits there till the pump shuts off. The others have done but dont stay for long and usually by following him or clinging to each other. I have lots of VDO's to upload that I have taken of this. The photos dont do it justice.

Here are some pics I took with my phone and couple with camera

Weed Stub Image

Healthy looking plant flowering Image

Acrylic tube input end. only he alone can sit here without being twisted around by the get stream of the pump hose. The others swim up halfway but then backs down to the mouth where the water exits. Image

Here are some gravel in the flow Image
Tube exit: Image

Bubbels being sucked into the tube with the current generated by the flow velocity of the pump.

Apologize for any spelling errors, gramma errors or any missing details. Feel free to ask any questions
Vance
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:01 am

Vancmann- This is work of a genius.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to grow potted plants and I think your idea here will work magnificently for my next loach tank renovation. You're using natural lighting too. Bravo.

The turbo tunnel sounds like an amusement park ride for loaches. Can't wait to see the videos.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks chef. They sure treat it like a park ride. They are not as excited about it as when I first started though. They use it in the mornings mostly and ocassionally in the evenings. One thing though, this turbo tunnel sure keeps the water airated.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Way to go 8) Excellent work.

I am sure, this will be the direction, serious loachkeeping steers to. I have plans similar, except I am planing to cut open Polypropylene pipes (wastewater) and cover the holes with (thin) pvc or acrylic sheets, that follow the shape of the pipe due to heattreatment. I was thinking of having the level the same as the watersurface (about 2/3 of pipe diameter) and let the fish swim through. The entrance and exit to tha tank will be managed with a syphon kind of device (waterbridge setup). Leaving a mild flow on all the time.

btw did you glue the pipes together? I wonder whether it were sufficient to just plug them together like waste water pipes (the ones with the seal in it). That reminds, I already have 1and1/4" pipes I will connect the current Garra rufa Q-tank with the system, that will be a like a small modell for the syphon design, just fopr testing. I'll post once done...

Again, I am very excited about your post, thanks for sharing.
Wolfram

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:44 pm

:D Excellent setup!! I love the concept and way you put it all together. This is very inspiring. Thanks for posting!
"Long May You Loach"

bigpow

excellent!

Post by bigpow » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:52 pm

thanks for the inspiration.

I'm going to set-up a 240g loach tank in a month and currently researching all options.

This looks really complex and hard (since I know nothing about plumbing) - but definitely a thing to aspire to.

Clowntje

Post by Clowntje » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 pm

What a great idea!

My father in law has something similar for his pond, and we where thinking about how to create that for our fish tank. This is exactly telling how to.
Still pending between NL and DE and rebuilding our new home.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 am

wasserscheu wrote:Way to go 8) Excellent work.

I am sure, this will be the direction, serious loachkeeping steers to. I have plans similar, except I am planing to cut open Polypropylene pipes (wastewater) and cover the holes with (thin) pvc or acrylic sheets, that follow the shape of the pipe due to heattreatment. I was thinking of having the level the same as the watersurface (about 2/3 of pipe diameter) and let the fish swim through. The entrance and exit to tha tank will be managed with a syphon kind of device (waterbridge setup). Leaving a mild flow on all the time.

btw did you glue the pipes together? I wonder whether it were sufficient to just plug them together like waste water pipes (the ones with the seal in it). That reminds, I already have 1and1/4" pipes I will connect the current Garra rufa Q-tank with the system, that will be a like a small modell for the syphon design, just fopr testing. I'll post once done...

Again, I am very excited about your post, thanks for sharing.
Hi wasserscheu, thanks. The pipes were glued together with PVC cement. I wanted the extra assurance that it wouldn't come apart in my house since the unit is not 100% over the fishtank. Had a question about your plan: Would the fish be swimming through the syphon to get into the pipes? Would fish in the syphon tube cause any overflow?

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 am

Hi Vancemann, sorry I replied in my summary thread, pic's are there too...

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=45
Wolfram

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Wonderful!!! I am also working in this direction. I have plants in a 10 gallon and am testing to see how fast they use up the nitrate. I hope that you will try to get some idea of exactly how much nitrate x number of plants use up. I was making plans for a long narrow acrylic aquarium to hold the plants in front of my window, but your pipe idea is excellent since it is simpler. Thank you for sharing and please keep us posted.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Keith Wolcott wrote:Wonderful!!! I am also working in this direction. I have plants in a 10 gallon and am testing to see how fast they use up the nitrate. I hope that you will try to get some idea of exactly how much nitrate x number of plants use up. I was making plans for a long narrow acrylic aquarium to hold the plants in front of my window, but your pipe idea is excellent since it is simpler. Thank you for sharing and please keep us posted.
That was my plan until recently my Giant Danios got Ich from new fish. Surprisingly, the Clowns did not get ich first. I have only had to deal with ich once and one of my clown is really unhappy with Rid ich+. I have been medicating the tank with 40-50% water changes and I added salt. The nitrates will be diluted due to the extra water changes and dont know how that will affect the plant's health.

Are you using aquatic or land plants? I was going to use an Acrylic tank initially but I decided that the tank's walls would go green with algae and I would have to clean it too often.

Eventually, my long term goal is to find a balance of plants, which will be crops, and fish. At the moment, I have about 9 three inch" sprouts of vine tomatoes and a bunch of Sweet dwarf basil.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Right now I have 6 different aquatic plants and one house plant (Mauna Loa). Do you have any information on what is supposed to work best?

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 am

As far as land plants, so far, everything I have tried is growing even a wild plant stub I transplanted. Most land plants need their roots airated though so the roots cannot always be fully submerged and and if they are the water cannot be stagnant or the root will rot. Peace lily seems to like lots of fresh water.