I made a terrible mistake. Need help.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pringles

I made a terrible mistake. Need help.

Post by Pringles » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:00 am

My roomate recently moved out of the country and had asked if I wanted to keep his YoYo Loaches. He had actually just gotten them but had to move out of the country because of an emergency.

I saw them and fell in love with how they look and their personalities.

I made the mistake of not realizing or researching their adult size potential.

I am currently keeping three of them in an established 10 gallon tank with adequate cover.

I have asked my LFS if they would be willing to take them off my hand and unfortunately, they told me that I should buy a bigger tank for them. I would love to. Believe me, I would love to have a larger tank but I am living in a small apartment at college and won't be able to fit much more than a 10 gallon.

I would like some suggestions of possible options I could take at this point.

I really want to keep them and tell myself that it's okay b/c they seem to be having a good active lifestyle...but I worry about their wellbeing in the future.

Thank you for any help.

Alaskancorydoras

Post by Alaskancorydoras » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:36 am

They grow pretty darn quick. . . IMO you shouldn't keep yoyos in a 10 for more than a month at most, if at all.

A good interim solution would be to get a 20gallon breeder tank. They're shorter than your 10 is, but wider and longer, but still small enough to fit on a dorm desk.

The advantage of a 20 breeder (Also known as a 20 long) is that it has roughly 4 times the surface area (And thus bottom area) of a 10 gallon.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 pm

It is very good of you to be so concerned, and thoughtful to help out a friend.
Unfortunately Yoyos get way too big, and are way too active for a 10 gallon tank. They are OK in there for as long as most people might quarantine them, but not long term. A month or 6 weeks max.

The idea of a 20 long might allow you to keep them until they reach about 3", but they are pretty active, too, and that size tank is still not going to be big enough long term.

I keep mine in a 4' long, 72 gallon tank. (the 20 long is only 30" long).
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

UncaToddly

Post by UncaToddly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Alaskancorydoras wrote:A good interim solution would be to get a 20gallon breeder tank. They're shorter than your 10 is, but wider and longer
A 20g long is not smaller than a 10g in any dimension.

A 10g is 20"L x 10"W x 12"H.

A 20g Long is 30"L x 12"W x 12"H.
The advantage of a 20 breeder (Also known as a 20 long) is that it has roughly 4 times the surface area (And thus bottom area) of a 10 gallon.
Actually it has less than TWICE the surface area. A 10g has 200 sq. in. of surface area. A 20g long has 360 sq. in. of surface area.

Todd

Donna

Post by Donna » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:09 pm

My acrylic 20 L is 30" long by 10" front to back by 14" tall.

This is where I got it, it's a TERRIFIC tank, plus they have fast service & free shipping!

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/ma00020l.html

Kuhli motto: "Find good places to hide."

Carpe Didelphis!