How to simplify water changes

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Inside of the garden hose should not be dirty. I have used my filling hose (usually only used with clean water) for aquarium waste water, then turned right around and used it for filling. I did help the old water to drain out, but nothing special. I would be concerned about the temperature, though, filling from a garden faucet. Cold water only. By hooking up to my shower I can use hot and cold water and match the tank temperature.
That is what a Pythin does, anyway. (Runs out the dirty water, then turns right around and fills).

Yes, the Python needs fairly strong flow of water through the sink to work. With poor water flow you will indeed waste a lot of water using this class of product. You can try to get around this if you have any water supply that is lower down, for example if the tank is upstairs use a downstairs sink. Or outdoor hose bibs are often lower than the floor level of the house. If you can attach the Python to the hose faucet this might get the dirty water flowing, then you can turn off the faucet and allow gravity to help siphon the water out of the tank.

You do not actually need the Python to do this. If it will work at all, then a gravel vac that is just the tubing and the part that goes in the tank is enough. Start the siphon with a turkey baster, or some of these gravel vacs can be started by shaking them up and down, or start them by filling the discharge tube at the sink, then holding the ends until you are ready.

Rubbermaid Brute series of garbage cans has optional wheels. Great for moving the water around in the house. They are not great on a deep pile carpet, but any hard floor or tight woven carpet is fine. I have one room that is difficult to reach to fill, so I fill my garbage can close by, (as far as the hose reaches) then roll it into the farthest room.

A friend of mine set up water in a garbage can with a pump. The can stays in a closet. Long enough tubing to reach the farthest tank, and a slow enough pump for the smaller tanks. Yes, it takes a while to refill the larger tank. Then refill the can, add dechlor and let the pump run to circulate it and the water is ready for the next time.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andre

Post by andre » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

raecarrow wrote:
andre wrote:I don't know if it may work for you. My fish room is next to a bathroom. I fill the bath adjusting the temperature and mix the water conditioner.....
Don't you worry about soap residue that is in your tub?
In this specific case the bathroom is only used if we have guests. In any case I wouldn't think that soap residue would be a problem if the tub has been cleaned and rinsed properly. But I need to investigate this issue further. Now I have doubts :roll:

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:34 pm

andre wrote:
raecarrow wrote:
andre wrote:I don't know if it may work for you. My fish room is next to a bathroom. I fill the bath adjusting the temperature and mix the water conditioner.....
Don't you worry about soap residue that is in your tub?
In this specific case the bathroom is only used if we have guests. In any case I wouldn't think that soap residue would be a problem if the tub has been cleaned and rinsed properly. But I need to investigate this issue further. Now I have doubts :roll:
Even a lot of cleaners are harmful to fish.
Rae

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Many cleaners are water soluble though, conscientious scrubbing and rinsing out to remove them. Lots of rinsing.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!