How to simplify water changes

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raecarrow

How to simplify water changes

Post by raecarrow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Ever since my car accident back in March, I have been having trouble with lugging 5 gallon buckets around because it seriously hurts my back.

Just a note, I am a renter so I cannot reroute existing plumbing to place a drain and/or tap near the tanks.

Any suggestions, no matter how simple or complicated would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rae
Rae

Bully

Post by Bully » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I do mine with a water butt and, a water butt pump. This means I can change 100 litres across 3 tanks in less than hour, I vacuum the substrate whilst removing the water which means the process takes a little longer. I'm not sure what a water butt is called in the US, maybe a rain barrel?

The water pump attaches to a hosepipe so I can run the pipe from the butt in the garden to the tanks and operate with a standard hose gun.

Here's the pump I use, I don't know what the equivalent in the US would be:

Hozelock 3 in 1 Water Butt Pump: Amazon.co.uk

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 pm

I use a python, which just attachs to the tap. Although the link is to a UK site the product itself is American so should be available over there.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalo ... angers.asp
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Eyrie wrote:I use a python, which just attachs to the tap. Although the link is to a UK site the product itself is American so should be available over there.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalo ... angers.asp
Don't you have to add any water conditioners to remove clorine and heavy metals?
Rae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Most people who use pythons, add the water conditioners as the water enters the tank. Putting the conditions straight into the tank. I also used to do this when I took care of a fish at a science center. We had no water on my floor. :)

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks, I'm actually going to go out and get one today. My tanks are in serious need of some TLC.
Rae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Make sure you measure the distance from your tank to your sink, so you know what size to get. I wish I could afford one. :)

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

I used to use a python, but since we changed the sink faucets I have been unable to find an adapter that works.
The threads on the new sink are on the inside not outside. Anyone now of an adapter that will fit?
Casey
Water is the substance from which life is born. (Mortal Kombat)
For beneath the surface, lies the future. (SeaQuest DSV)

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 pm

hi raecarrow,

I also have back problems here. My solution was a bit complicated but strongly efficient.

A hole on the wall grants access to the maid´s restroom where I can discard water from tank:

From same hole I have a garden hose to fill 2.5 gallon buckets:
Now, water from filled buckets goes to tank using a 650 liter/h powerhead:

Since that I had never to carry filled buckets anymore.

Marcos. :wink:
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I went out and bought a Python today. I have to say I ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY love that thing.

Me and my back thank you all!
Rae
Rae

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 am

lf11casey wrote:I used to use a python, but since we changed the sink faucets I have been unable to find an adapter that works.
The threads on the new sink are on the inside not outside. Anyone now of an adapter that will fit?
Try this page from Drs. Foster & Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3922

It has all the faucet adapters for the python - the universal one should work for your sink.
"Long May You Loach"

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Agree with starsplitter7 about adding the dechlorinator direct to the tank.

Other advantage to using the python is that after vaccing I can leave it to drain some more water and then refill the tank whilst I change a smaller tank with a bucket.
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm

I have the universal adapter, but it still wont work.
Casey
Water is the substance from which life is born. (Mortal Kombat)
For beneath the surface, lies the future. (SeaQuest DSV)

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm

lf11casey wrote:I have the universal adapter, but it still wont work.
I have two different python adapters for inside threaded faucets here at the house that I don't use. They came with my python kit. They both transfer to fit to the brass adapter that fits to the green garden hose size fitting. One from a larger inside thread and one from a smaller. They are white nylon fittings. Not sure if they would work for you but they are yours if you want them. PM me and I'd be happy to mail them out to you.

Keith
"Long May You Loach"

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Marcos - That's a clever setup you have going there! Moving buckets around will kill anybody's back and sooner or later there is always going to be a spill. 8)

I have my own unique setup going that avoids lugging any water around. I use a holding tank which is a 65 gallon garbage can that I fill up and pre-filter and age the water in for a day or two using a submersible pump, then I disconnect the filter unit and connect the 50 ft python hose to the same submersible pump and pump the water to the tanks. I use a separate gravel vac and just do a simple syphon to the bathtub for the draining part and collect some of the water for my plants - they love the dirty tank water.

Here's a pic of the pump and early version of the home-made filter, it's now threaded PVC with hose fittings to match the python hose. For my lame Florida water this day of pre-filtering helps out quite a bit and the chlorine and ammonia are almost zero on their own before adding Prime for safety.

"Long May You Loach"