Dojo Loach Spawning

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Aozora

Dojo Loach Spawning

Post by Aozora » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Good evening!

At noon today, I noticed that our dojo loaches were behaving oddly. After a few moments of observation, I realized that they were spawning!

Supposedly, dojo loaches don't spawn easily in aquaria. I'll list here the conditions that led to the spawn, in case anyone is curious, and later on I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with.

Two weeks ago today, we moved the 44-gallon, completely emptying it and setting it up again. At the same time, we merged all the dojos. The temperature of the water is at 73 degrees, which was cooler than the females were used to. The pH is at 6.5, the Nitrite is 0 ppm, Nitrate is ~30 ppm, and the phosphate level is somewhat high at 5 ppm. We've been feeding them bloodworms and Hikari meat pellets as a matter of course.

The male and the female separated off the bottom of the tank and swam about at mid- to high- levels in the water column. The male swam with his mouth and barbels all but touching the female, right behind her gill cover or slightly farther back, by her pectoral fins. They would swim like this for about ten seconds, when the male would wrap himself around her pelvic fin region, and she would scatter about 20 eggs in a burst. The eggs adhere to any surface, especially to the small leaves of the artificial plants. (see picture--look closely!) The breeding pair would go back to the bottom of the tank, then repeat the behavior about thirty seconds to a minute later. I'm not sure exactly when they started, but they continued this spawning behavior for at least twenty minutes. The other loaches in the tank became agitated during the whole process, especially the males. One or two of the other males would attempt to rise with the female, but they would give up before more than three seconds passed.

The female and male that spawned were the oldest fish in the tank. Both are a little over two years old. The male has natural dojo loach coloration, while the female is a so-called "golden" dojo.

This leads me to my several questions. First and foremost, does anyone have any experience with dojo loach fry? We are setting up a 20-gallon fry tank, where we will transfer the plants containing the eggs. We've got a sponge filter and will attempt to feed the newly-hatched loaches baby brine shrimp. As a backup, we have Hikari Firstbites fish food.

Secondly, does anyone know anything about dojo loach genetics? I would assume that the natural coloration would win out over the golden coloration, but I'm curious as to what the fry might look like.

Thank you for any help you can give!

"To thine own self be true."

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Aozora, welcome to Loaches Online, and congratulations on your Dojo/Weather loach spawning! 8) Whilst this old thread does not detail the actual spawning, it may be of interest to you: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=6396 Fry feeding details can be found on the 4th page.
Good luck!
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Aozora

Help!

Post by Aozora » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 am

... Crap!

I guess what's known about dojo loach hatching is wrong. Just checked, and they're already hatching. Looks like precisely 36 hours from when we saw the parents spawning. We're not really prepared to feed them yet--stuff still in the mail. Gonna try to put some dissolved egg yolk in there so they have something to eat when the remains of their yolk sac is gone.

They're so tiny, and translucent. About the size of a betta fry, but much, MUCH more active.

Help! Hahaha

raecarrow

Re: Help!

Post by raecarrow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 am

Aozora wrote:... Crap!

I guess what's known about dojo loach hatching is wrong. Just checked, and they're already hatching. Looks like precisely 36 hours from when we saw the parents spawning. We're not really prepared to feed them yet--stuff still in the mail. Gonna try to put some dissolved egg yolk in there so they have something to eat when the remains of their yolk sac is gone.

They're so tiny, and translucent. About the size of a betta fry, but much, MUCH more active.

Help! Hahaha
I'm not sure if this will work for Dojos, but what I do when I have new baby guppies is I take the adult food and grind it into a powder (this can be done in a ziplock bag with a spoon or with something like a clean coffee mill or hand-held drink blender) and then put it into the tank.
Rae

Aozora

Post by Aozora » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Looks like the egg yolk got them through the night. They're just as active as ever, bouncing up and down every little while. Some of the first-hatched already have visible backbones and miniature dorsal fins.

What still bewilders me is the time it took for them to hatch. I read a couple of accounts saying it would be 3-5 days, but they all hatched in 36 hours. All of the eggs have hatched that will hatch, and the chances that there were two spawnings of a fish rarely bred in captivity so close together is astronomically small. Temperature and pH are the same as in the adults' tank.

... Oh my God, I just proved myself wrong. They're breeding again... Same male, different female....

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Aozora wrote:... Oh my God, I just proved myself wrong. They're breeding again... Same male, different female....
Wow, it looks like you have a veritable "perfect storm" for dojo breeding. :shock:

You probably want to line up some people to take some of your babies once they get a bit bigger, or you might be able to go to you LFS and have them take them on consignment or for store credit. It sounds like your tank will end up over full if you keep them all.
Rae

Aozora

Post by Aozora » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Pictures of the spawn:

New Mom:

Eggs being released: (high speed, all of it, hence blurring)

New Mom and Interloping Dad, courting "dance" prior to spawn:

And the crowning jewel, actual moment of spawn:

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Image Thanks for sharing!

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Aozora , brilliant info and pics 8)

Stonecoloured

Post by Stonecoloured » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:57 pm

WOW!

Congratulations!

Thank you for documenting this, it's amazing to see :D

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:28 pm

it's not often you can get the spawnings on camera, brilliant and thanks for sharing.
you said you were going to have trouble feeding the fry, if you have a coffee grinder put flake and any pellet food you have and grind it down to a powder but be sure when feeding to put the food below the surface to get water logged and it should fall in an area you want.
i've used this method when i've been caught without any of the normal foods i have and it worked until i could get it going again.

best of luck with the fry.

mick
never take people at face value.

Aozora

Post by Aozora » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:14 am

The fry are doing remarkably well! They're developing some color, and their dorsal fins are now visible. Unfortunately, they're only 4mm long and still mostly translucent, so they don't show up well on camera. I'll have to wait for them to be visible before I can post more pictures. At the rate they're growing, it won't be long...

There's still one more large female in the tank. Jury's out on whether I'd like to see her spawn too--there are already quite a lot of eggs and fry. At the same time, I'd like to see if she will, because if she does, it means some sort of holy grail of dojo loach breeding.

I'd much prefer to give the fry to people that I know will take good care of them, but that's still a while away. I'll consider it more at a later point.

Has anyone ever heard of photos of dojo loaches spawning before? Are these some sort of record? Should I start looking for journals to publish this in, hahahaha...

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 am

Congrats! Great action pics

Aozora

Post by Aozora » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:56 pm

We had a bit of a crisis yesterday; the leftover egg yolk in the tank developed a fungus. We had to move all the babies one by one into a temporary holding tank to clear out the fungus. Here's a picture of them, about 2 days old, in the holding container.

They're starting to behave and look like loaches! Pectoral fins are visible, and they're staying mostly on the bottom now.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 am

holy crap that is a lot of baby loaches. (I am assuming that is what all those little lines are)
Rae