Would Polkadot Loach's Fit in with my community tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

callum_mcg

Would Polkadot Loach's Fit in with my community tank?

Post by callum_mcg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 am

I have a 70 Galon 4ft long tank and is a well established community tank, as i love to see a large amount of colours in my tank I have a large amount of plants and such with a wide variety of community fish, ie tetras, zebra danios, guppys, dwarf guaramies, panda corys, plecs and so on an noticed my local trusty fish store has obtained these Polkadot Loach which have amazing patterns probly the main reason why i got into tropical fish. What i need to know from experienced keepers is... will they eat my tetra and guppys? and will it get on with a red tailed shark?
thanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Kubotais are generally pretty good in a community tank. They might eat the very youngest of Guppy fry, but larger fish are safe. Red Tailed Sharks usually claim a territory around a cave, and are aggressive to other shark shaped fish, such as certain relatives (especially with the work Shark in their common name).
Most Red Tails seem to be reasonable fish for a community, and even get along with other bottom fish. However, some individuals are more aggressive than average.
A 75 gallon tank, 4' long has a lot of space, both on the floor for the bottom fish and above for all the schooling fish. I would go for it! Just watch the shark. Might be a good idea to move his favorite cave right before you turn the Loaches loose. This way the shark might not be quite so territorial for a few days.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 pm

my mature rts pushes around my smaller loaches (striata, histronica, etc...) @ feeding time, but it doesn't seem to phase them at all. Loaches tend to mix it up anyway :twisted:
Kubs are fairly peaceful loaches but they might bother the cories, and dwarf guaramies
drain your pool!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Make sure if you get Kubs you get at least five. None of mine bothered my other fish, but each fish has its own personality. I had Kubs with Cories, tetras, . . . I also have Tigers with tetras and cories, but I have been told my fish are a little odd.

callum_mcg

Post by callum_mcg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 am

thanks so much everyone for your extremely helpful replies, i love watching my red tailed shark at feeding times because like you said it becomes aggresive but never hurts any of my fish, the strange thing is once feeding is over my shark is generally peacefull in the end. And just an update i ended up getting 3 and they have fitted in straight away with no problems,
Thanks again.