just got 2 gold somethigs will they be alright????

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

toastie

just got 2 gold somethigs will they be alright????

Post by toastie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:02 pm

got 2 the other day dont know much about them-ish, been doing alot of reading today and i know what they eat etc. and what they like but just wondering will they be fine in this tank with the 3 gold fish ive got

and what size would you say this tank is?(i cant rember)
and finay my lil gold sucky thigs playing hide and seek LOL (dojo's if i am corect?)
Last edited by toastie on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im pro at makeing a mess :D

StrangeSavant

Post by StrangeSavant » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 pm

That looks more like a chinese algae eater to me. If you do, in fact, have dojo loaches in that tank, they'll be fine for a while, but not forever. That tank is far too small for them.

If it's an algae eater, I have no idea. Still might be too small.

toastie

Post by toastie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 pm

StrangeSavant wrote:That looks more like a chinese algae eater to me. If you do, in fact, have dojo loaches in that tank, they'll be fine for a while, but not forever. That tank is far too small for them.

If it's an algae eater, I have no idea. Still might be too small.
humm now undecided on what they are :?: i was told they were dojo's but ? i got them from a mate who brought someones whole aquarium (well the fish anyways) and he was over crowded so was getting rid of some fish so i had them 2 lil things since they can live in cold water in retun for fixin his bike :P i thought it was a fair deal since i like fish :D

bigpow

Welcome

Post by bigpow » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm

toastie, welcome.

Always good to see another fish lover.
It's kinda hard to identify the two fish from the pic, but one is for sure a golden chinese algae eater and the other one looks like a golden dojo loach.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Measure the tank.
L x W x H (all measured in feet) x 7.5 = American Gallons.
L x W x H (all measured in inches) x 231 = American Gallons.
L x W x H (all measured in centimeters) / 1000 = liters.

Goldfish need at least 20 gallons for the first one, and 10 gallons more for each additional goldfish until they reach about 5-6", then they need an even larger tank. Fancy types of goldfish get taller and fatter rather than long, but they need plenty of water also. They are not such good swimmers, but they produce as much waste as the original or wild shaped fish.

I would aim for something like a 45 gallon tank for up to 5 fancy golds to 4" long, or 3 fancy goldfish to 6" long. If you want to keep Dojo Loaches I would try 3 Golds and 5 Dojo Loaches in a 4' long, 45 gallon tank. When the Golds get too big (water quality is hard to maintain without frequent water changes) you might separate the fish into 2 tanks this size, or larger.

Ditto the other comments. The small fish with a sucker sort of mouth that is hiding looks more like a Chinese Algae Eater. Dojo Loaches do not have sucker mouths. These are not good to keep with Goldfish. They have been caught in the act of sucking the slime coat off goldfish and other tank mates.

If the tiles on the walls are 4" x 4" then this tank looks like 8" x 12" x 10" high. Smaller than even a 5 gallon, and not good for Goldfish at all.
Goldfish grow REALLY fast, and create more ammonia than similar fish. They need a large tank, and lots of filtration.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:29 am

Diana wrote:Measure the tank.
L x W x H (all measured in feet) x 7.5 = American Gallons.
L x W x H (all measured in inches) x 231 = American Gallons.
Diana, I think you mean
L x W x H (all measured in feet) / 7.5 = American Gallons.
L x W x H (all measured in inches) / 231 = American Gallons.

I wish my tank was the number of gallons I was getting doing the American Gallons your way. LOL
Rae

toastie

Post by toastie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 am

well its only a little 45liter something like that ?? and o got some more pics of the little buggers and a vid or 2 LOL

ill post them up in a bit

toastie

Post by toastie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:17 am

hear's the 2 vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nzdqwz5VCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTJmVFV0UbY

hes some pics i snaped :D identifaction?

cloudgodd

Post by cloudgodd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 am

those guys are definitely a Chinese algae eater, here is a pic :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mUCRl2kFWHY/R ... ium_54.jpg

I also have one and they act alit like mine does.

I would defiantly not keep them with gold's, that is if you want to keep your gold's as soon as those gold's go to sleep or soon after their slime coat is toast.

Also as Diana said that really is to small a tank for your gold's, if you cannot afford a larger tank I would suggest some guppies maybe, and a tank heater.

bigpow

no mistakes

Post by bigpow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am

No more doubts - they're a pair of golden CAE (Chinese Algae Eater).

Looks like you're just starting out with the hobby and as you progress more, you'll learn more things that you could do to make your fish live longer and healthier.

Unfortunately, your fish are the kind that lives a long time and can grow to significant sizes.

For now, since the fish are still quite small - a small tank like that with plenty of aeration and filtration should be sufficient. Don't forget to do regular maintenance: water change and gravel vacuum. Oh, and limited feeding only. Search this forum or online for best practices of fish keeping. Please don't do the old method of cleaning tank (putting all the fish in a bucket, scrubbing the tank clean and using 100% new tap water).

As they grow bigger, you will either have to give them up or forced to get a much bigger tank. Two main reasons: simply not enough space to sustain them eco-system wise, and especially for the CAE, they will get territorial and fight as they grow.

Happy fish keeping!

I had a lone CAE that lived for 5yrs and it was dominating any tank size it was in. Started with a 20g, upgraded to 55g, then upgraded again to 125g.
Always dominated the tanks and I even thought about giving it up because I used to hate how it would "attack" my other fish.

BUT then, I realized that it's just the nature of the fish. The fish likes water movement and slimy material for sustenance. If the tank doesn't have a lot of water movement and algae, then it would try to cling on the other bigger fish.

It was a great fish, never-the-less, I miss it now that it's gone.

toastie

Post by toastie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 pm

i shall keep an eye on them little buggers, check they dont pick on the big gold (chubby)
and i will got for the tank upgrade some time soon so theres more room.
orignaly there was plenty of room with chubby being considerably smaller than he now is and the other 2 liveing outdoors then brought them indoors for the winter (glad i did with all that snow we had:P) and they have rapidly grown since being indoors. i never got round to putting them back outside and got use to the idea of haveing them in the tank. they never fought or nothing so were a good match for chubby.

dont fancy going tropical because they are a lot of effort to maintain and we have regular powercuts so not a good idea :s and i dont fancy my charnces of tropical fish surviveing when i moove out (some years yet but its gunna happen (16) so yea)

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for catching that, Rae! That is what I get for typing before the coffee has hit me :oops:

The proper formula if measured in feet is to multiply by 7.5 to get American gallons.
The 'Inches' formula is divided by 231, not multiplied.
The metric formula is divided by.

Example:
Tank is 1' x 2' x 3'

1' x 2' x 3' x 7.5 = 45 gallons

12" x 24" x 36" / 231 = 45 gallons

30 cm x 60 cm x 91 cm/ 1000 = 164 liters= 43 American gallons
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

toastie

Post by toastie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 pm

cool thanks ill measure it in the morning of the lop of my head i think its something like 36x36x40 cm somewhere around them marks

Laura

Post by Laura » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 pm

I second all the info above. I would be even more conservative than Diana on the recommendation for the tank sizes for goldies. They are piggies and need lots of room and filtration. I kept 2 fancy goldies and a bn in a 33 and it wasn't enough room - water quality was a constant battle - even more so when the 2 dojos were with them - I was doing >50% water changes at least weekly to stay on top of it. That was with 2-3 HOB filters running.