Easiest loaches to find

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sawyer

Easiest loaches to find

Post by Sawyer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I don't have a LFS so I wanted to know which loaches I can expect to find at Walmart, Petsmart, Petco and other big chain pet stores. I know clowns will be easy to find, but will dojos, kuhlis, yoyos, sids, etc?

Donna

Post by Donna » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Good luck with kuhlis. PetSmart says they "always" have an all-black phase, but there weren't any when I went on Wednesday. Not even a label on a tank.
Carpe Didelphis!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:43 pm

My petsmart regularly has clowns & Kubotai, occasionally has "black khulis". Only tiny clowns at petco. i have seen skunks at my local walmart,unfortunately. It seems that the selection depends on the locale.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 pm

They often have Kuhlies at PetSmart, even when they say they don't because htey are under the rgavel. I have them search by hand. I have also gotten two types of "eel Loach" that Petsmart was selling as Oblanga. Just be careful that you don't get sick animals. I got a bunch of Oblangas at walmart where they were selling them in Betta bowls. Augh!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Where do you live? I got nice histrionicas here http://www.invertzfactory.com/stocklist.htm They have other loaches too. Shipping is only $15, my first mail order fish, a very nice experience.

I've heard good things about Franks too http://www.franksaquarium.com/

I got striatas at Petsmart but they were an accidental shipment. Kubotai sometimes, dojos but not in my state. I've heard in some areas they have a different order list. Talk to the person that orders, they may be able to get different fish. One told me she doesn't order kuhlis often because they hide.

HSTurning

Post by HSTurning » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:38 am

petco near me has had yoyos, striatas, clowns, dojos often. mixed tigers and hillies once in a while.
petsmart has yoyos (taged as kubs often), kubs ($10 each 15 min north of me and the store 15 min south of me is $15) koolies black and std, and clowns.

I have been to atleast 6 of each store near me and they all carry the standard mix. I have become freinds with a LFS owner and I get to see what is on the list and when ever something out of the norm shows up he calls me to see if I want some.
I need more tanks, more more more

Sawyer

Post by Sawyer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks for your replies :D
Where do you live?
FL

Thanks for the ordering sites.

How much are loaches at petsmart/petco/walmart? I recently read that yoyos can be like $80 for 4, is that true?

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Sawyer,

What part of Florida are you in? This state is sort of a dead zone for good freshwater fish stores - loaches in particular.

I have to do a lot of calling and driving to get any results and am considering ordering from Frank's when I set up my next tank.

I have found yoyo's fairly often though and they are usually around $8-10 each.

I have 2 Petsmarts near me - 1 is awful and I wouldn't trust any fish from their tanks - the other is pretty good and the girl who runs the fish dept. is fairly knowledgeable and asks questions about your tank and what fish you have and such to try and steer people away from disasters.
"Long May You Loach"