Holy Grail-leptobotia elongata finally found!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fugupuff

Holy Grail-leptobotia elongata finally found!

Post by fugupuff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:54 pm

After years of fish keeping, I've finally found my dream fish. Leptobotia elongata., and this fish is much different than the one people use to call royal clownloach, which was often mislabeled as elongata, infact they were pelligrini.

Our trip to find these took use over 10000 miles by plane, 1000 miles by car, and days of traveling and obtaining permits to get these fish and export them. We were also met with many obstacles trying to ship them, as the larger governing body wasn't aware of our activity and took much persuasion to get them out.

We had obtained special permits to try to collect and obtain this fish. In return of our donation to help research and breeding of this fish to reintroduction to the wild we were able to obtain a handful of large and some small 2" babies

In the wild, they are practically extinct already,. most fisherman have not seen them in the past, and few have seen an occasionaly appearance. They were more abundant 5 years ago, before the hydroelectric dams were in use. They're natural habitats have been destroyed, preventing them from reaching their spawning grounds.

The natural habitat is slow moving large rivers with pebbles and river rocks. Temperature is 77 degrees right now, but drop as low as 50s during winter. They can tolerate as warm as 90 during the midst of summer. There will be a featured article in TFH soon as well.

Please email me at amazonaq@aol.com directly if you have any more questions regarding this awesome fish, and do not use the photos without permission or prior consent.

Thanks,

Wes

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 pm

That's very interesting. Keep us posted about the article.
I didn't know this species was so rare in the wild.

KhuliKhilla

Post by KhuliKhilla » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:10 am

a too terrifyingly large fish for me to keep. so, good luck in keeping them and hopefully breeding them too!

oh and we demand pictures regularly.
"It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

xulucubuj

Re: Holy Grail-leptobotia elongata finally found!

Post by xulucubuj » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 am

Forums of the modern stint ache been done for the individuals. The change of the nature and ability to write my assignment for me has been welcomed for the collection of the reforms for the humans in life.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:50 am

Thanks Bas Pels for pointing out that this is an old thread strangely resurrected by the assignment writer.
Last edited by redshark1 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:54 am

Do mind, this topic is 9 years of age.