Cycling and Dither Fish question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TrebleClef84

Cycling and Dither Fish question

Post by TrebleClef84 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:59 pm

I have had my tank set up for a couple of weeks now, and I swear the nitrate and nitrite levels are getting higher and higher. Should I keep doing water changes? Do I need to have a couple of fish in the tank to complete the cycling process?

Another thing, what are good dither fish for kuhli loaches? Maybe something colorful?

I should mention there are no fish in the aquarium now.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 pm

The fishless cycle, adding ammonia to grow bacteria, is detailed in our fish health forum.

Quick rundown:
Start by adding ammonia to test 5 ppm.
When nitrite shows up (usually by the end of the first week)allow the ammonia to drop, and add just enough to reach 3 ppm.
It may take another 2 weeks for the second population of bacteria to grow to the point that they can remove the nitrite.

Do not allow the nitrite to get over 5 ppm, this will slow or stop the growth of the very bacteria that you are growing. Do as big a water change as needed to lower the nitrite, then re-dose enough ammonia to read 3 ppm.

Allow the nitrate to be whatever it wants to be. It is not toxic to the nitrifying bacteria in the amounts generated during the fishless cycle.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT add fish to cycle the tank. Ammonia and nitrite are deadly toxins. The reason to do a fishless cycle is to grow the necessary bacteria so the fish waste can be removed biologically when fish are added, and not kill the fish.

When the fishless cycle is done you will see the following:
You can add ammonia to test 3 ppm, or even a bit more.
In just a few hours the bacteria will have removed all the ammonia. It will test 0 ppm.
There may be some nitrite for another hour or so, but certainly by the next day both ammonia and nitrite will test 0 ppm.
Nitrate may be sky high (three digits).

At this point you have 2 options:
If you are ready for fish, and the store has the fish you want to stock the tank, do a big enough water change to drop the nitrate into the single digits. Then go buy the fish within 24 hours. You can get enough fish to fully stock the tank.

The other option is to keep feeding the bacteria while you wait for mail order fish, or for the store to get the fish you want. Keep feeding the bacteria with ammonia. When the fish are available, then do the big water change as explained.

Good tank mates/dithers for Kuhlie Loaches...
I would look into some of the smaller Rasboras, including Harlequin Rasboras, but also some of the Dwarf Rasboras, or small Tetras such as Embers.
Makes sure that the dithers you select thrive in the same conditions as Kuhlie Loaches: Temperature, water movement, and water chemistry.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

TrebleClef84

Post by TrebleClef84 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 pm

:Sigh: I think I am going to start over with the water. The nitrites are high- somewhere between 5 and 10, and the nitrates are starting to climb. I can't seem to put enough ammonia in to get it up to 3ppm.

If I want to "steal" bacteria from another tank, how long should I keep a filter cartridge in the filter?

Thank you for being patient with me, Diana. You always answer my questions.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 pm

If you have another cycled tank you can take as much as 25% of the media from the filter of the cycled tank and it should not have any problem. You can also take a scoop of gravel, especially skim it from the top, this is where the most bacteria are. You could put this gravel in a nylon stocking, of just scatter it on the floor of the new tank.

Do a water change to get the nitrite lower. 5 ppm max, otherwise it stalls the cycle. If it is currently 10 ppm I would do a 75% water change, then add some ammonia.
What % active ingredient is there in the ammonia you are using? Is it pure ammonia? Or is it already diluted with water?

If it is pure ammonia add just a few drops to get 3 ppm.
If it is diluted, you will have to add more.
Is your test kit getting old? Sometimes they will give you odd readings if they are not within the right date.

Happy fish keeping!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:01 am

Once you get your tank cycled and ready to go, I think that (if you don't mind a huge rash of babies) guppies are a good dither fish for a kuhli tank. You may need to find a LFS that you can sell the excess of babies back to once they get nice color or friends that you can trade stock with. Or you can just get males.
Rae

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:28 am

Or go with Endlers. More of a market for the babies.

Happy fish keeping!