Yunnanilus cruciatus with Sids?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dave Rinaldo

Yunnanilus cruciatus with Sids?

Post by Dave Rinaldo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Do you think I could add Yunnanilus cruciatus to my group of Y. sidthimunki ?
How do you keep the music playing...
Legrand/Bergman

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 am

Personally I wouldn't Dave, going by my own group of cruciatus they seem a little to placid and shy to cope with sid's.

The cruciatus tends to like slow almost still well planted conditions were as the sids like that extra flow.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

fluethke

Post by fluethke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:13 am

Hi Dave,

i have 25 Yunnanilus cruciatus with 12 sids in a 112 Litre Tank. There is no problem. The Yunnanilus in this tank are not shy. The parents of the Yunnanilus in the 45 Litre tank a very shy. They live alone there.
Sometimes I have an extra flow pump in the tank with the Yunnanilus and the sids, the Yunnanilus love the flow too.

I would do it.

Greetings Frank
Many Greetings
Frank

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 am

Thats good to hear Frank, its interesting to hear that your parent fish are shy and also live alone like mine.

I might have to add my cruciatus to one of my other tanks and give them some company :)

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:03 am

Mine are anything but shy. Very active, outgoing fish and they don't shy away from the bigger fish in my tank. They rush up to the surface at feeding time and manage fine with moderate water current. They occasionally drop down to the level where I have a powerhead blasting along the front bottom of the tank. They tend to be blown along for a bit and then go back and do it again. I have 11 of them together and they like swimming with harlequins and cherry barbs. Maybe numbers is the key?
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:26 am

There are 25 of them in the group but the only time they venture to the front of the tank now is when food goes in and then straight back to the rear of the tank again, to start of with they seemed very bold and would always be at the front of the tank but as the group grew they seemed to get increasingly shy :?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:31 am

Oh how I'd love to have 25! Ah well, dunno what the problem is then.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

hx

Post by hx » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 am

Hi there. My short experience on these would lead me to believe they would be ok with sids.
I've got 25 in a 75 gal and they are the most active fish I've propably ever owned. Very curious, constantly swimming around. They are also very much interested in any other fish that swim around and join in with anybody. My Sewellias must think the cruciatus are remoras or something.
I'm pretty sure they would do the same with sids.

Great little fish, my recommendations to anyone with a tank inhabited by smallish fish.

I wonder if the reason for the different activity and bravery of these could be that they get a bit more timid as they get older? Mine are young, still growing.

fluethke

Post by fluethke » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 am

Hi,

yes ist seems, that the age is important. My older Yunnanilus (> 1,5 years) are shy, the younger ones (beetween 3 and 6 months) do it the same way you told.
They are very activ and it seems they clean somtimes the other fishes. (Always in the near of the eye) but not in a aggressive way.
Great little fish, my recommendations to anyone with a tank inhabited by smallish fish.
Absolutley.

Greetings Frank
Many Greetings
Frank

hx

Post by hx » Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

hx wrote:I wonder if the reason for the different activity and bravery of these could be that they get a bit more timid as they get older? Mine are young, still growing.
A bit more experience now.

At first my Y. cruciatuses were always swimming around the tank, adorably together and always on sight.

Now, a few months later, I very rarely see the fish other than on feeding time. They are very timid and stay among vegetation all the time.

Not that I mind, It makes me very happy to see the shoal of them as soon as I feed the tank. Just an observation.
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:20 am

Hi all, do the Crusiatus prefer warm or coolish water ?

They sound fascinating fish to keep :)

avant

Post by avant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:24 am

I've kept them in tank of about 28deg and they fare well.
Like what the people have mentioned, they become more shy as they age.
- daryl

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:45 pm

My lot were very bold, active and unafraid when I had them in a tank with various Botia sp. but now that I've moved them to a much more peaceful tank and a few more of their own, they've gone completely skittish and hide all the time! Cannot figure it out.