food poisoning?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LeStat

food poisoning?

Post by LeStat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi, has anyone ever heard of fish dying from food poisoning?

I ask, as yesterday I found 2 of my clowns dead, there have been no new additions to the tank (fish, rocks, wood, plants etc) and all parameters are and have been stable for months. In short nothing new or significant has happened to the tank with the exception of feeding prawns that had been defrosted naturally (normally I defrost them by running under hot water for a minute).

I fed them the prawns on Friday night and was out all day Saturday, (fish not fed Saturday as this was their fasting day). Found them dead on Sunday morning.

I'd like to know if anyone has suffered a similar experience and am wanting to know for my own peace of mind. I also wanted to raise the issue so that no-one else loses any fish to this.

Needless to say, I am gutted as one of these was my oldest clown.
250 Gallon, 8 Modesta, 2 Plec, 2 Catfish & a shoal of 17 Clown loach.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I fed scallop to my fish once & the next day a clown was dead. It was all from the same big scallop cut up small & I ate the rest of it. No other fish seemed ill, they all loved it, but I've never given it again. I wondered if it was from overeating or fighting over the treat.

I'm sorry you lost the clowns.

bigpow

i don't think it's food poisoning

Post by bigpow » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 pm

more likely from water parameters went south (from uneaten food gone bad).

shrimps, squids, oysters, etc go bad really quickly.
even a small leftover will make the tank water stink, the filter should be able to handle this but if it's already on the verge of the capacity then maybe it'll be too slow.

I had to change water right away after I gave my clowns some squid innards and eggsacks. Boy, they loved the treats, but soon after the water turned bad. :(